• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need more travel at full compression

cag119

I'm trying to get more front end travel when my bronco is completely compressed. After 2 KOH's, we're finding areas of improvement. Currently, the limiting factor occurs when the drag link contacts the tie rod. I have the flat top knuckles with high steer arms and a drop pitman arm with bulletproof crossover under knuckle system.
Options - put a stock pitman arm on it raising the drag link so more travel can happen before it contacts the tie rod.
Use a different high steer system - maybe the two hole style.

or just be satisfied this is my end point when both wheels are fully compressed. then I have to redo the bump stops and shock hoops....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Guess you're running one of the EMC classes. Sounds like raising the pitman arm or lowering the tie rod are the main options. Is your tie rod under the high steer arms already?

On my rig, I'm running a standard pitman arm on a 4x4x2 box and hydro assist. No high steer arms, on a regular D44 axle. It's all very tight at full bump. How much up travel do you have at this point and what are you running for shocks/springs?

OP
OP
C

cag119

Like my profile says, newbie. haven't figured out how to post picts yet. yes, we've ran the EMC Stock class the last two years. Jager2337 is the team name and you can find us on FB (Jager2337 Race team). Check us out, we'd love to have more friends on there.

Yes, the tie rod is under the high steer arm. Same steering here, 4x4x2 box with assist. Total travel is only 11 inches between drive shaft bind and tie rod binding. Deaver springs, 5.5" and 12" stroke for a shock. We had 14" (max for class rules) but they are too big since we can't cut out the wheel wells. Bottom line, 11" just doesn't cut it. I'll be putting in a HP d44 after FFF (hope to see you guys there) so that will get me about 3" more in droop. I guess that adds up so maybe i shouldn't screw with the steering at this point. I need to burn in the shock hoops this week so i was hoping to have at least one constant and that was full compression.

OP
OP
C

cag119

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
If you sign up as a contributor for $12, you can post pics directly in a thread. Otherwise, you need to use a third party site such as Photobucket to link to your pictures.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Here's a few pics of cag199's KOH entry. They put in an awesome effort in the last two KOH's. Entered in the stock class, in the Every Man Challenge.

Mark

Attachments

• KOH2.jpg
    KOH2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Andrew KOH.jpg
    Andrew KOH.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Andrew KOH1.jpg
    Andrew KOH1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 109

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm trying to get more front end travel when my bronco is completely compressed. After 2 KOH's, we're finding areas of improvement. Currently, the limiting factor occurs when the drag link contacts the tie rod. I have the flat top knuckles with high steer arms and a drop pitman arm with bulletproof crossover under knuckle system.
Options - put a stock pitman arm on it raising the drag link so more travel can happen before it contacts the tie rod.
Use a different high steer system - maybe the two hole style.

or just be satisfied this is my end point when both wheels are fully compressed. then I have to redo the bump stops and shock hoops....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 110

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is still the common tie rod over issue. That is a drop track bar frame bracket and high steering take the same space when compressed and turned to near full lock.

I would see if you can find a way to bring the track bar back up to stock height on the frame then raise the bracket on the axle to get the geometry straightened out.

A few years ago (OK, here) I did some springs out suspension compressed clearance checking. What you have is a bit different, but it gives a lot of thought to how to better check and think about solutions.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I think I saw your bronco at Steve's house in Escondido? If so, be knows what to do, he's been down that road. You can check mine out at fab Ford's, cycles 15 vertical with zero bind and sits about 2.5 inch lift. 6.5 up 7.5 down from ride height.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Check my gallery, there are pics of my steering that lets the tie rod go above the draglink and not crash.

bigjhoov

nobody
I'd start by ditching the drop pitman, as well as the drop trac bar bracket if the geometry dictated it. I think it will.

bigjhoov

nobody
Check my gallery, there are pics of my steering that lets the tie rod go above the draglink and not crash.

IMAG2170.jpg

This? I'd be leary of those heims being in single shear like that. Why all the misalignment bushings? The tie rod only see's lateral movement, no need for the misalgnment's on it unless there's something I'm missing.

68ford

Bronco Guru
IMAG2170.jpg

This? I'd be leary of those heims being in single shear like that. Why all the misalignment bushings? The tie rod only see's lateral movement, no need for the misalgnment's on it unless there's something I'm missing.

Misalignments are now gone, that's all I had to reduce the hole diameter when pic was taken. Now the heims are tight against the steering arms.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Through around idea of heims on top of the arms and on top side of the drop pitman arm, but realized I would have had to notch the frame rails for the tie rod when fully compressed. If I was in rocks more probably would have done it. Pittman arm is a little low when fully compressed.