• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need power steering pump assistance

chuck1022

Contributor
My stock power steering pump belches fluid after I drive for extended periods of time. So my thought is to just change the damn thing out and replace the hoses. These old pumps are nowhere to be found where I live.....but i did find them on Amazon.... for $87 with a $50 rebate. can someone double check me to see if I am ordering the right pump off Amazon

ACDelco 36P1226 Professional Power Steering Pump, Remanufactured

76BroncoPete

Contributor
I appears to be correct. Amazon has a feature at the top to "check the fit" for year make and model so you may want to double check. Bronco graveyard also has them for $99.

76BroncoPete

Contributor
I may be way off here, but you could possibly have air trapped in the system. The factory shop manual has a start-up procedure after doing a power steering overhaul or removal/re installation.
1. Disconnect the coil wire.
2. Fill the reservoir to specifications.
3. Crank the engine with the starter and add fluid until the level remains constant.
4. Turn the steering wheel approximately 30 degrees to each side of center while continuing to crank the engine.
5. Recheck fluid level and add fluid, if necessary.
6. Reconnect coil wire.
7. Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes.
8. Turn the steering wheel from left to right.
9. Turn off the engine and recheck the fluid. Add fluid, if necessary.

Again I may be off the mark. Someone else may be able to,give you better insight. Is it "belching" fluid out of the dipstick tube?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I may be way off here, but you could possibly have air trapped in the system. The factory shop manual has a start-up procedure after doing a power steering overhaul or removal/re installation.
1. Disconnect the coil wire.
2. Fill the reservoir to specifications.
3. Crank the engine with the starter and add fluid until the level remains constant.
4. Turn the steering wheel approximately 30 degrees to each side of center while continuing to crank the engine.
5. Recheck fluid level and add fluid, if necessary.
6. Reconnect coil wire.
7. Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes.
8. Turn the steering wheel from left to right.
9. Turn off the engine and recheck the fluid. Add fluid, if necessary.

Again I may be off the mark. Someone else may be able to,give you better insight. Is it "belching" fluid out of the dipstick tube?
you forgot to turn the wheels lock to lock a 100 times, well seems that way lol. also check to see if the fluid is foamy if it is it still has air in it, sometimes even jack up the front will help get the air out too.
there is a vent in the top of cap so if you overfill it, it will come out the vent until it gets close to the proper level

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Power steering fluid

Type f fluid

Dex

What kind of fluid goes in these things

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It may not be the mfr. recommended fluid but i haven't had a problem with type F ATF for the last 50 yrs. All my vehicles made before the '80s had/have the Ford-Thompson pump. I did have one boil over after driving a winding mountain road. A small cooler kept it from happening again. I use Ebey photos to see if it's correct. The return line nipple changes with the application. The rest of the pump was fairly consistent.

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
Is the pump making noise?
I connect about 1 or 2 feet of clear tubing to the fill pipe of the pump (so it doesn't make a mess when it burps)and fill up the pump, disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and cycle the steering wheel back & forth until it stops burping up fluid.