• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need rear wheel bearing help!!!!

Fredly1

As I pulled my 69 into the driveway today I got a big cloud of smoke coming from under the drivers side rear. I got out and looked and the rear was leaking out of the axle. I took it apart and pulled the axle.
The bearing was shot!
44e0cbc4-5b20-cf14.jpg

I got the bearing part off and called napa to get the bearing, seal, and gasket for both sides.
My question is, what is this piece above the flange?
44e0cbc4-5bad-32cd.jpg

Does that need to come off also? If so, what's the best way to remove it?
What's the best way to get the bearing back on?
Thanks in advance!!!

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
The bearings need to be pressed on. If you don't have a access to a press, you can take it to your local machine shop. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you how to rig something up in your garage.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That looks like it may be part of the bearing. Can you get a closer pic?

I saw your pm about the 2 1/4" brakes. Those would require the later, longer '76-'77 axle shafts.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yep thats the inner part of the bearing and the press on retainer. I use a cut off wheel to get them off. Don't cut thru them you can break them off when you get close. Or take it to a machine shop and they can do it all.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Most napa stores have at least limited machine capabilities and can press the old bearing off and new one on.

I preach this all the time.

After the old bearing is off, check axle very carefully for a crack. The Axel carries the weight of the rig and the tork of rotating the tire at the same time. I have broke 2 axles between the bearing and the wheel flange. Yes they were small bearing axles but both showed signs of a crack part way through before they broke.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
X2 on NAPA pressing them on. Ive used them for this and they torched the old off for me. I think it was like $25.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yep thats the inner part of the bearing and the press on retainer. I use a cut off wheel to get them off. Don't cut thru them you can break them off when you get close. Or take it to a machine shop and they can do it all.

X2.. the ring that is closer to the axle splines is a retainer, it shrinks over the bearing race to keep it in place when the axle is intact. It's what keeps the axle shaft from sliding out of the bearing when you go around a corner.
You can cut it partially way through with a cut off wheel, then whack it with a hammer (wear protection from flying pieces) and it'll break completely through the partial cut.
Or turn it over, put some torch or propane heat on only the collar and it'll drop off when it expands.
A little hint: when you put the new bearing back on, first put the axle shaft in your freezer for a couple hours, the new bearing and retainer will drop on, or at the very least will tap on with little effort.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
may as well do the other side as it is probably about to go