• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need shorter header, catalytic converters

Bradsp8

I have a '75 Sport the PO put headers on and ran dual exhaust. He said he ordered the right ones but when had them installed it turned out that they were the long and not short headers. He wound up having them installed anyway but he evidently had to take a hammer and dent the headers a bit to prevent the front driveshaft from hitting. Another issue I have is that the installer did not put catalytic converters on the exhaust. I failed inspection today and now need 2 cat's and a short header for the left side or drivers side. Anybody got a short header for sale that will fit the drivers side of a 302? New or used if in relatively good condition. If I have to go new do you guys have any reccomendations? They told me 75 and up you have to have cat's or won't pass inspection.

One more thing, I do have the original manifolds the PO gave me and am also wondering if I should stay with headers for the better air flow especially since I'm now going to have cat's or go back to the stock manifolds? I like the rumble, not too loud not too soft but wouldn't mind if were a bit quieter with the manifolds back on.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can offer.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I can't help you with parts, but that sucks you have to put a CAT back on there. Check the laws to see if the cat needs to be there visually or physically. What I mean is you can get some cats, run some re-bar thru it and break out the innards and then install them, that way you don't have the blockage.

Was that the only thing that failed you on the test? If you failed on the emissions part of it, you may need the cats to burn the rest of the gasses.

Something else to look at is registering the vehicle as something else, like a collectors, antique etc etc, maybe you can by-pass E-testing that way. That's how most of the guys do it around here. Where's williamsburg?

Someone else can help you as far as what headers you need.

J.D.

OP
OP
Bradsp8

Bradsp8

I'm located in Williamsburg, VA.

I did look into the antique vehichle tags and it was too limiting by both DMV and State Farm.

Not sure about the cat's needing to work or just be there, will have to find that out. Anyone knowledgeable on that please let me know.

No smog test in VA, just have to have cats if 75 or earlier.

It failed due to a master cylinder leaking, no cat. converters and having my belt off the smog pump. I'm putting on a new master cylinder in the next day or two, will put the belt back on the pump untill inspected and need to work on finding the header for the one side. Once I've found the header and installed it I'll go back and have them redo my exhaust with the cats. Once taken care of I should be good for quite a while.

Interesting thing is the PO had it inspected and it passed in 02/07 so I'm hinking that the headers and exhaust were installed after he had it last inspected.

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in Virginia, my cats are in place but gutted. They have to be there to pass the visual inspection because they are OE. Once I no longer had to pass emissions testing (northern va) I gutted them. It passes state inspection every year like this.