• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some help identifying a rear axle

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Just bought a project '66 and I need to redo the brake lines. To buy them I need to know what axle I've got. Not sure if I have a Ford 9" or a Dana 30... It has no bolts.

9hBDcp1r.jpg

Any help?
Thanks!

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I would scrap it, It is too far gone. Let me help you unload it! :)

as mentioned above, 9 inch Rear no Dana 30's in the rear end.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said. It's an earlier model 9" with the fill plug on the back. That plug disappeared maybe the next year, or was even a running change and not all '66's got them.
Some look at that plug and call the rear end a Ford 8" diff too. Not sure and don't know anything about any 8" diffs. Someone does though, so leave it up to them.

You will have 28-spline axles, but could have either the "large" or "small" bearing ends. What size are the brakes? Or if you ever have it apart you can measure the bearings or check the part numbers.
The seals and bearings are different between the two.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and welcome to classicbroncos too John!
How's about some more pics when you can too? Oh, and of the front end for sure.
Your '66 would have come from the factory with a Dana 30 in the front, but someone could easily have changed it to a 44 at some point in it's life. Pics will tell the tale.

For quick reference though, here is the basic shape difference between the two front covers: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Dana30

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
And the fun thing about that rear is the third member case may not have a fill fitting. Be sure to check and remember not to use it unless you have a housing with a fill plug. Random lesson I learn many years ago.;D

Jim