• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some timing chain help

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Well I think I finally found the problem to my 289. I took off the timing chain cover this weekend and whomever had put the timing chain on previously did not line up the marks on the gears. This would explain all the headaches I have had trying to get this thing to start. However when I looked at the lower gear (closest to the oil pan) I noticed there are 3 different marks. These include a circle right above the keyway and a triangle and square about a quarter of the way down on each side from the circle. Which one of these shapes is to be lined up with the upper gear mark??? I have never seen a gear with three markings. In the past there has always been just one clear marking. Anyone with some insight, please advise. Thanks in advance!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Those are for mounting the timing chain either retarted, straight up, or advanced. If your thinking of reusing that chain STOP! They're only about $30-40 for a new high quality timing chain $20 if your cheap. It will also come with instructions on which way to mount the marks. I'd also recommend you mount it straight up, but I don't know what cam you have either.

OP
OP
A

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
The chain is brand new. Am I still supossed to buy a new one? The guy I bought the Bronco from said the engine had just been rebuilt. It hasn't run since the rebuild. I know from looking at it that it hasn't run either. All the gaskets look like they were just installed.

mattt

Bronco Guru
That's an adjustable timing set. Those 3 marks sound like the marks on my Cloyes timing set. I'll look in the instructions and see which mark is which,,,,advance, retard, straight up. There should be a keyway at each mark.

OP
OP
A

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
That's an adjustable timing set. Those 3 marks sound like the marks on my Cloyes timing set. I'll look in the instructions and see which mark is which,,,,advance, retard, straight up. There should be a keyway at each mark.

Thanks. I looked and there is only a keyway on the circle mark. However there are slots by the triangle and square where it appears a keyway could go.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I looked at the instructions that came with my timing set. The square is for setting up the cam timing retarded
The triangle is for setting up the cam timing advanced
The circle is for setting up the cam timing straight up to factory spec.
There would have to be a keyway at each mark. You may not be able to see it unless you pull the gear off the end of the crank.
All of those marks are based upon #1 cylinder at TDC.

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
All of those marks are based upon #1 cylinder at TDC.

Sorry if you know this already and I am belaboring a simple point, but the marks will only line up when the engine is at "top dead center" like mattt said.

Just sounds like a mistake I might have made before I knew better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Thanks again for the replies. I plan on getting down to the garage before the end of the week to sort this out. Luckily the temp is supossed to rise as it has been quite cold here lately. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I may hear this engine run for the first time. :)