• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Support?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the body still on the frame? I assume so, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Paul

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Yea, body is still on, top bolted down, rocker panel intact. I have been working on old VW's for the last six years. With them, you have to brace everything. I would rather ask stupid questions than make mistakes.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure that the body mounts are in good shape. They tend to squat on the mounts that are under the front floorboards. Sometimes the mounts are somewhat squashed and the body cross member bends downward at the door post. Especially if the floor pannels are rusted out. Both conditions cause the front post to settle. Check the door openings for fit while the doors are on, make a bunch of alignment marks and get the dimensions. A floor jack can be used to apply upward pressure at the door post or front of the rocker pannel can be used to square up the opening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Thanks Dave, thats what I was looking for. Ordered the door post, kick panel, and drivers floor pan today, looks like its all tied together anyway. At least the rocker panel and floor support are solid.

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
I had to cut both of mine out. Actually, when I finished cutting, all that remained was the core support and firewall. Did not brace anything, but took lots of measurements. I wished I would have braced a little anyway. It took a fair amount of jacking and wedging to get it lined back up so my measurements would come back to me. It's easy to cut out and grind off the welds from some cross bracing. It's difficult to jack the body up and out.
DC