• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Neep help pulling rear axles...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Rear end oil is leaking out into the right rear brake drum on my 77 Bronco, so I'm trying to replace the rear axle seals. So far I've removed all the oil soaked brakes as well as the four retaining nuts from the axle retaining plate behind the brakes that hold the rear axle in place. If I'm not mistaken, the rear axle should just pull right out with a couple good tugs with a slide hammer. However, I've been pounding on this thing for a while now and it hasn't budged a bit. Is there something I'm missing? ?:?

crab

Bronco Guru
That should be it. You don't even have to pull the brakes, just the four backing plate bolts. Do the axles turn freely on the bearings?

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I pulled the brakes because they're oil soaked and have to be replaced anyway. As far as the axle turning in the bearing, it turns fine. I'm just wondering if there's some kind of retaing clip on the inside somewhere. But then again, if there were, how would you get to it since you have to pull the axles to get the third member out anyway?

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Yup. That was the first thing I tried. No luck...

Still pounding away... No progress...

:mad:

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Well.... I guess I'm like you and thinking they should just pull out. Sometimes you have to really jerk hard, but as far as I know they should just come right out. Hang tough, someone else will have some more ideas shortly.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Try spraying it down with penetrating oil and let it soak. I've seen a few that were pretty darn stubborn. As a last resort you can add some heat using a torch around the housing itself to get it to expand it some but you need to work fast before the heat soaks through to the bearing race for it to work. If you get the housing hot it can also ruin the seal in it but I would replace it anyway.

TIGERNUTZ

Loc.
Louisiana
Mine were a PITA also. I rented a slide hammer from autozone after I struck out with the brake drum reversed and it worked like a dream. Goodluck.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Soaked it down with penetrating oil. Drank a beer. Took turns hauling off on it with two other people. And finally success at last! Thanks for the help. ;D

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Dang, I don't know why we didn't think of the beer earlier, but I'm glad you finally got that rascal out :cool:

cynrays

To replace the bearings you will have to knock the race inside off the axle. The race is back away from the bearing.I used a cutting torch to cut the race . You will have to get a long piece of pipe the size of the race to wham another on. It will also take some pounding.
They made two sizes of seals in 77, so carry the old seal with you.
The seal is 5 dollars at auto zone and the bearing is 15....

cynrays

You can count the splines on the end of the axle while you have it off , then you can tell if you have a 28 spline or a 31.
The axles won't be as hard to get off the next time.
Check the bearings while you have it off.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
mustangmarty said:
Soaked it down with penetrating oil. Drank a beer. Took turns hauling off on it with two other people. And finally success at last! Thanks for the help. ;D

One of mine was the same way, with pretty good sized slide hammer too. The other side just fell out when I got the last nut off.

Kidney

I seem to remember someone suggesting putting a chain on the axel, then attaching the chain to a big cinder block and throwing it as hard as you can.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
One more thing, maybe useful for future reference...

When I removed the nuts from the backing plate bolts, I had hell getting the axles out. So I tapped out the bolts, and the axles slid right out. All I needed was a little patience, another beer, and a punch and hammer to tap them out with. When you're slide hammering on the axle, see if the backing plate is able to be slid out/move freely. If the bolts are cocked in the plate, the axle won't move so pretty good.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Kidney said:
I seem to remember someone suggesting putting a chain on the axel, then attaching the chain to a big cinder block and throwing it as hard as you can.
Yah, I heard that too. But was told it would only work if you wore sandals. I wonder why.

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
I've used the chain before but not with the cinder block. Didn't have a slide hammer so just used a 10 ft long piece of tow chain. It worked but what a PITA. Mustangmarty glad you finally figured out the beer part. That usually gets 'em everytime. ;D ;D

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Things start coming along for me when I'm at my witt's end and I get pissed off. Thats when parts come apart and progress begins. ;)