• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new 302 block

Miker

Bronco Guru
I got a chance to pick up a brand new never assembled 302 block which is standard bore. What lower end would be recommended for a super strong build up. I have the Edel. 600, Edel performer manifold, TFS Heads, Cloyes double roller, Mr. Gasket mech. fuel pump, long tubes.
Basically, I'm lookin' for ideas for pistons, rods, crank, and fairly aggressive camshaft.
I'd like to be in the mid to high 9's compression wise. The heads are 61 cc's. I've seen other posts/threads that say 347's are great but don't last.
I's like to get into the mid 300's with a fairly wide torque band starting at about 2000rpm.

any suggestions??:?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
do a 327 stroker, you have to buy the crank anyhow. to be honest though if you are building stock, the stock ford crank aint that bad. i think scat makes a good stock and stroker crank.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
327 stroker? Don't think i have ever heard of it.
on the stroker's ,I have heard that some grinding has to be done on the block for clearance issues with the rods. Is this true??

barronj

Bronco Guru
Speaking to the notching related to stroker kits, you have to notch the inside bottoms of the cylinder walls for the rods (lower part, rod bolt area) to clear. It's an area that doesn't see much stress at all, so it's not a compromising issue in any respect. It will be SOP for your machinist.

Early 347 kits had oil consumption issues, b/c wrist pin was pushed up in to the oil control areas, but late model 347 kits are past that.

If you're dead set on stroking, I would go 331 or 347 & not look back. Honestly though, with a bronco, and your components, you might be easily thrilled w/ a 302 bottom end & flat top pistons cut for clearance (cam+2.02 valves)

Last edited:

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Not trying to be an ass but don't waste your time. If you're building a motor from scratch why wouldn't you want to build a 351W? They bolt right up and have more HP in stock configuration than a 302 has all geeked up on high $ parts.

I got my 351W block for free. If you paid $200 for a 351W block, you would still be way ahead mondy wise, dollar for HP, over building a 302.

Edited to add:

If you want to go crazy like I did, take a 351W block, a new Scat stroker crank, stock rods, 302 pistons, Edelbrock heads and intake, and you get ~400 hp in a very stable motor. Search "393 stroker" Builing a basic 393W costs little more than building a stock 302 and the power difference is astronomical.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Not trying to be an ass but don't waste your time. If you're building a motor from scratch why wouldn't you want to build a 351W? They bolt right up and have more HP in stock configuration than a 302 has all geeked up on high $ parts.

I got my 351W block for free. If you paid $200 for a 351W block, you would still be way ahead mondy wise, dollar for HP, over building a 302.

Edited to add:

If you want to go crazy like I did, take a 351W block, a new Scat stroker crank, stock rods, 302 pistons, Edelbrock heads and intake, and you get ~400 hp in a very stable motor. Search "393 stroker" Builing a basic 393W costs little more than building a stock 302 and the power difference is astronomical.

I agree, I love my 351W, but if he has the 302 block...STROKE IT;D ;D ;D

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I agree, I love my 351W, but if he has the 302 block...STROKE IT;D ;D ;D

The block is really such a small price factor compared to the rest of the build...

You can sometimes get a block for free, sometimes you have to pay $200 for it. The overall motor build costs over $1,500 (machine work, pistons, rods, crank, heads, etc...) Start with the right block is my advice.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Come on now, with that logic why not just find a 460 and drop it in there?

Why, because he has 302, it's his choice, it's what he found, it's what he has, help a brother out, don't slam a man down, can't we just all be friends? Small motors and big motors alike? Don't try to rationalize your choice by trying to sway him out of a stock sized motor.

Going 351 isn't as easy as stroking a 302/5.0.

What you save on building a stock 351 goes into beefing up the driveline, adapters, etc....

The right block for a Brocno is a 302/5.0...

loves and kisses:)

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Come on now, with that logic why not just find a 460 and drop it in there?

Why, because he has 302, it's his choice, it's what he found, it's what he has, help a brother out, don't slam a man down, can't we just all be friends? Small motors and big motors alike? Don't try to rationalize your choice by trying to sway him out of a stockj sized motor.

Putting a 460 in is a real project. Dropping a 351 in is as easy as dropping a 302 in, almost. I'm not slamming him; it's just that he could sell the 302 block to the Mustang crowd and fit the 351 in easy breazy.

Of course, not everyone likes power hogs, I guess.

Edited to add:

You're right, he would have to upgrade his drive train as he breaks it with the 351.

barronj

Bronco Guru

What you save on building a stock 351 goes into beefing up the driveline.

The right block for a Brocno is a 302/5.0...

I've found that NOTHING is easy on the bronco, but what you have to work for, you enjoy more. Sure, I put in a GT40 headed 302 in my bronco, and that lasted for a month til I found a 351 on the cheap. Now, I'm looking at stroking the very motor that smokes them with ease w/ low compression in its current form. HP is a drug.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
everyone loves power.

He might already have everything else for a 302 block, thats all I'm saying.

I would go 351 but my current 351 is 60 over with 50k and smokes, so it's done. Like him i found a 5.0 NOS block, still gathering 5.0 parts including EFI, which once you start dropping dime on that, your done in my humble opinion.

cheers!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
327 stroker? Don't think i have ever heard of it.
on the stroker's ,I have heard that some grinding has to be done on the block for clearance issues with the rods. Is this true??

You will typically hear the strokers refered to as a 331. That number is a 3.25" stroke crank on a .030 overbore. The typical rebuild. Since you are looking at a virgin block that doesn't need an overbore it comes in a 327. Which happens to be the same bore and stroke as a stock Chevy 327. 4" bore and 3.25" stroke crank.

As for grinding the block, the 347 needs just a touch at the bottom of the bores. The 331, opps I mean 327 since it is standard bore, will be just fine without notching. At least the one I built for the ranger didn't need any grinding to it.

OK, main answer answered. Now for the 351 tangant. Unless you have some special reason you really have to have this 302/327 engine I would look to sell this block and find a 351W. The cubes make the torque that make things fun to drive. Dropping in a 351 is easier and more rewarding then messing around building a stroker 302. I have done both, stroked 5.0 to 330" (.020 overbore) for a Ranger V8 swap and a 351W. The stroker had more thrown in it but in the end they both made the same HP on the same dyno. But the torque on the 351 was much better. The 351 was less tempermental and way more reliable. Bulding that stroker was fun, as in fun if you like a challange. I enjoyed the challenge. Most people would rip there hair out fighting all the problems I had. How to fit a windage tray and an oil pickup tube into an oil pan? Yes a torch was used to reshape internal engine parts. A grind here, a grind there, should I really be removing this metal from these brand new parts like this? Why doesn't that fit now? Wow, that's messed up, how can I make that work? Are these the right parts. Yea, the stroker build. That 351 was so much simplier and I didn't have the engine out 1500 miles later either.

Kgarris99502

Loc.
Anchorage
You know everyone has a comment and go with what you like and can build to your budget. I have the stock motor in my 73 and it runs like a top. I would love to stoke it but just in due time. Summit is a great place and so is you local parts house.. Good luck and have fun with it..

Bundy

Bronco Guru
isn't the 351 alot harder to squeeze into a bronco? does it have the cooling issues like the 302?

if i have problems keeping a mild 302 cool, is the stroker kit putting gas on the fire?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
isn't the 351 alot harder to squeeze into a bronco? does it have the cooling issues like the 302?

if i have problems keeping a mild 302 cool, is the stroker kit putting gas on the fire?

a 351W is one of the easiest engine swaps ever, it does have a higher deck which means hood scoop or body lift.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its like everything someone asks what carb to run and guys always go EFI. Just answer the question they asked in the first place if they wanted EFI they would ask about EFI.
Heres my suggestion and a question why do you want the power band to start at 2000 RPM?
To get a easy mid 300hp with a 302 based engine you need to stroke it. As was said 327 is a STD bore 302 stroker. HP is not your friend torque is. HP is for race cars TORQUE IS FOR 4X4'S.
I'll agree with the general consensus that a 351 is a much better starting point but still you can build a good 302 easily. You just cant expect to much and expect it to run good. Mid 9's compression is good to stay at but your camshaft will dictate what your compression should be. For a engine with a power band starting at 2000 rpm mid 9s is probably the least compression it needs.
To me stay closer to stock if you've built a few engines and learned what your doing and want to play then go for a stroker but really get some experiance under your belt before going all out.
Heck my first 302 had a little bit to big of a cam It ran good if over 1500 rpm. Got a smaller cam and all was good again. Swapped out that cam for one a little bigger when I swapped heads and now I'm very happy with the combo.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok. If you really want to build a big stroker 302 that will live how does 368 CI monster sound. Well you have to find a SVO R302 block. They are not terribly hard to find. They have a few special features however the 3 main features are a Siamese cylinder casting, extra thick cylinder walls and a taller deck height. just fill that block up with all the goodies and 368'' is no problem.

Remember you asked.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Wow,,,, I'm damn near speechless. thanks for all of the posts. I'm a goof for leaving out one aspect of the Bronco. It has an nv-3350 five speed. While they say these things are fairly tough, depending on the weight of the Bronco they can handle between up to 400 lbs. of torque. Any concerns either way, on this?
No worries about hurtin' my feelings with any posts, just don't be talkin' 'bout my momma';D

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Okay, 351 fans, (so am I by the way) I found this for sale. I know it's fairly high, is the speed sensor instead of the mass air, but, I can really check it out as it's in a runner, check compression, I would get the whole enchilada from the engine bay mtor wise and then he would pull it for me. Could I go carbed for a while to take advantage of putting on the trick flows? So, what would be a good deal for this? I know I'm all over the map on this one, but, it is what it is.
Thanks

Ford 351 Windsor 5.8 fuel injection roller engine with 62k original miles. Runs mint. Currently in a 1994 2wd F350 pickup.. Stop by and hear it run.. Complete with engine harness & computer. Perfect low mileage motor for pickup, Mustang, Early Ford Bronco, Jeep or hot rod. Try finding a motor this complete and with this low mileage in a junkyard.. $700 Will remove.. Located in Tewksbury, MA next to Wilmington.