• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New addition to the driveway

Regulator

I have a new addition to my driveway today. It is rough, real rough, but it will be a fun project and a great wheeler.

This is a '66 Ford Bronco. It is truly a classic and sure to get a lot of attention. This was my fathers truck, and when we moved from Colorado in '87 it was left behind at a friend of his (left in an open field) for three years as a pre-staged hunting vehicle. It was not run and never moved the entire time that it sat there. It was towed to Indiana and directly into storage in 1990, and today was the first time it has seen the light of day since then.

The current plan is new axles, 6-8" lift, 37-39's, new wire harness, power steering conversion, auto transmission conversion, new transfer case, new drive shafts, custom roll cage, fender protection with rock sliders, and the frame and bumpers completely sandblasted and painted. The bumpers are all 3/8" steel and are welded to the frame. the brush guard on the front is so strong that we used the lower cross bar as a tow point to wrap the winch and drag it onto the trailer. Dangerous yes, but it worked and there was no deflection of the cross bar or brush guard at all! I do want to add a pair of D ring mounts and a receiver on both front and rear bumpers.

I do not plan on painting the truck, I really like the years of patina. It really shows the history and adds a lot of character. It also will mean a lot to my dad to leave the body as it is and only repair the little bit of rust. May look at adding a clear coat for some protection.

This is pretty close to the size I will be shooting for, certainly not the same look though. This will not be a mall crawler!

20130921_175539_zps13fe33ce.jpg

Now what I know you people want to see....

20131102_180001_zps7a074356.jpg

20131102_180031_zps8769222d.jpg

20131102_180044_zpsb1d2853c.jpg

20131102_180109_zps19f8e37a.jpg

20131102_180230_zps2f1b6ca5.jpg

20131102_180243_zps7772ff93.jpg

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Is that a 6 or 8 cylinder?

Is it an original roadster?

The 66 U13's are pretty desirable to some doing original restorations and they bring a premium.

However, since it has been in the family and not one you just picked up randomly to build, I'm sure there is sentimental value there but I thought I would throw it out there in case you did not know they has some added value (especially if an original 289) and hard to come by in an uncut and survivor condition like this. This could easily (relatively speaking) be restored to look like when it rolled off the line.

I think it would look super cool restored with the roll bar and graphics just like it is now even just cleaning it up and running it like it is since the barn find with original patina is more popular than ever now.

It is almost a shame to cut it since it has made it all these year uncut. Have you ever thought of lifted with bigger tires but uncut? That is also a unique look gaining more and more popularity. If you do not like it, you can always cut it later, but you can not easily go back!

Here is one from another CB member: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232413

Anyway, it is yours to build how you want it, not mine.

A couple thoughts on your build:

Are you sure you want to go with that much lift? Tall also means top heavy and tippy. Depending on the wheeling you plan to do, that may not be optimal. My rig was set up about as you describe and on 38.5" SX's and several friends rigs are similar and they are looking and going a bit lower as well.

This has also been the trend the last few years in many of the off road competition rigs like the Ultra-4 / KOH rigs, lower the CG for better stability.

What axles? 44 and BB 9" or 60's, 14 bolt or?

What T case? Atlas, some type of doubler?

Super cool rig you have there and welcome to the forum!

slim811

Contributor
WOW! Great story and definitely exactly what we like to see and hear. How you kept tract of this special 66 through the years is fascinating. Each time I work on my truck I"m reminded of my father and how he loved his old Bronco. Sounds like you are gong to provide the dignity and honor that both of these older bucks warrant. Welcome and good luck with your restoration.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
It sure looks like an original Roadster. There is evidence of a Roadster mirror that was mounted on the drivers fender. Looks like it has he factory Ford stamped roadster door backing plates, evidence of some soft top brackets too. I would get it running and driving, and leave it just the way it is. Very cool piece of history. What is the vin #? It is located on the drivers side kick panel.

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
It looks to be a Roadster.. Nice find.

What is up with all these U-13 popping up every where?

Hope to see more up in TN this year at the Super Celebration

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice looking rig here! As mentioned above, it does look to be U13 roadster!!! Please apply to the registry and I will approve at www.roadsterU13.com.

The story is so cool, but have seen similar instances before were owners mentioned they are going to build or modify the bronco and then realize not to do such a thing for a unique bronco class as the U13s. Just realize it is a special one! Just my opinion here but I would keep her with the original patina and as a stocker. :)

For what it is worth, I found my original survivor back in '06 out of New Mexico and had full intentions of restoring her. After getting her home, checking it out and listening to many, decided not to restore her. Too good to touch, yet too few original survivors to present. Some say I should not have washed the 30 years of dirt off of her!!

Attachments

• Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 104

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Love that truck, Tim. She does look good with the dirt on her, but you can always recreate that patina. If you need any help with that part of it, let me know. ;)

BDAZSVT

I agree that I would not cut it if it were mine. I the worn paint looks good!

Where in Indiana are you?

andyp

Contributor
Fix the rust. Make it run. Clean it. Drive / wheel it. There is no possible way you can cut or paint that truck. That is just too cool.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
What a great story....and find....If It was Mine I Know I would not Clip the fenders off as once cut....They Re hard to go back. If you want a toy on 38" you may consider a pair.....FUN LIKES COMPANY.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice rig, looks like it has great history. I'm also in
Indiana. Would love to see it if your close.
I have a 77 that's cut and has alot of goodies if you
would be interested in tradeing let me know.
Welcome to the bronco addiction!!

frenchy

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Awesome story. I'm with the rest of them, leave it uncut and save/restore the graphics. They are just a small part of the coolness.

tdog

That is cool! Cut it if that is what you want. Life is short.

Front bumper is no joke.

Deano

Bronco Guru
That's a great story! I would not cut it! I would clear coat it and maybe add some lift but not change the graphics they are way to cool! So did you see the big blue one at Indy jamboree? That's where the picture was taken!