• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New addition to the driveway

OP
OP
R

Regulator

Is that a 6 or 8 cylinder?

Is it an original roadster?

The 66 U13's are pretty desirable to some doing original restorations and they bring a premium.

Yes, it is.

However, since it has been in the family and not one you just picked up randomly to build, I'm sure there is sentimental value there but I thought I would throw it out there in case you did not know they has some added value (especially if an original 289) and hard to come by in an uncut and survivor condition like this. This could easily (relatively speaking) be restored to look like when it rolled off the line.

I think it would look super cool restored with the roll bar and graphics just like it is now even just cleaning it up and running it like it is since the barn find with original patina is more popular than ever now.

I do not plan to repaint. I will fix the drivers floor and probably Rhino line the interior, but the body will just get a clear coat for protection.

It is almost a shame to cut it since it has made it all these year uncut. Have you ever thought of lifted with bigger tires but uncut? That is also a unique look gaining more and more popularity. If you do not like it, you can always cut it later, but you can not easily go back!

Here is one from another CB member: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232413

I really like the look of that truck. I would be interested to know how the flex is and if it could be functionally wheeled.

Anyway, it is yours to build how you want it, not mine.

A couple thoughts on your build:

Are you sure you want to go with that much lift? Tall also means top heavy and tippy. Depending on the wheeling you plan to do, that may not be optimal. My rig was set up about as you describe and on 38.5" SX's and several friends rigs are similar and they are looking and going a bit lower as well.

I am currently running around in a lifted Envoy on 35's. I have reached its limitations and find myself wanting to go bigger. Top heavy is always a factor for off road rigs, a wider tire profile and care in off camber situations will reduce risk.

This has also been the trend the last few years in many of the off road competition rigs like the Ultra-4 / KOH rigs, lower the CG for better stability.

What axles? 44 and BB 9" or 60's, 14 bolt or?

I have a buddy with a high pinion 44 front and 9" rear from a late 70's Ford. I plan on 4.56 gears and lockers in both.

What T case? Atlas, some type of doubler?

I am looking at the Atlas' as an option but need to do a lot more research.

Super cool rig you have there and welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

I agree that I would not cut it if it were mine. I the worn paint looks good!

Where in Indiana are you?

Warsaw, IN

Nice rig, looks like it has great history. I'm also in
Indiana. Would love to see it if your close.
I have a 77 that's cut and has alot of goodies if you
would be interested in tradeing let me know.
Welcome to the bronco addiction!!

frenchy

This truck has a lot of sentimental value to it and will never leave the family.

That's a great story! I would not cut it! I would clear coat it and maybe add some lift but not change the graphics they are way to cool! So did you see the big blue one at Indy jamboree? That's where the picture was taken!

Yes, I stopped by on Sunday afternoon and grabbed pictures of 4 or 5 that were sitting at the end of the drag strip. I was parked about 20 feet or so down on the opposite side. My Envoy and a couple of Trailblazers were hanging out with Indy JKers that we wheel with.

I guess I need to do a bit of soul searching and talk it over with my father. I have never been to concerned about restoring vehicles to original, and the show scene doesn't excite me, so I have no real draw to maintain this as stock. I would rather continue its life as an off road vehicle, that was why my father had it to begin with. In addition, I have a 4x4 on 35's so mild lift and tires to fit in the fenders doesn't really excite me either. I do hate to cut up a rare classic, am certainly not going to consider trading it, but have no need for a stock show pony. I am conflicted to say the least!

Here is the Vin plate, if someone can decode this for me I would certainly appreciate it.

20131103_230123_zps60238e9c.jpg

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Decoding your VIN:

Color "G" Chrome Yellow
Motor "F" 170 inline
Rear axle code "A3" 4:11 Limited Slip
#783579 Built in November 1966
Destination code "75" is Phoenix AZ

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
That is a sweet U13! You should add it to the registry if you haven't already like eaglenest66 said.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
It would be a crime to cut and destroy the current look. Trade or buy another one to play with.

Sorta like painting over the Mona Lisa to use the frame for a budweiser sign.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So from the Broncohio decode list it looks as if this is a 67?

Definitely a '66 - November 1965. You can also go to the roadster registry and there is a vin decoder on there as well. Just fill in the blanks and it will list all that is specified on that tag! Chrome yellow is somewhat a limited color to find. Just not many out there compared to the other '66 colors. Pretty neat! I did go to the registry as well and "G" indicates Arcadian Blue which I think is not right. Then went to Broncohio and Chrome Yellow is not even listed for '66, only for '67 and up. This color was definitely available for '66. Will look up in my books later to verify what the "G" stands for. Can anyone else verify the color code "G" for '66? Or tell us what Chrome Yellow color code is?

Last edited:

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Color Chips

Just found this on the computer. So, on the registry, need to correct/add the color code for Chrome Yellow as F is for Arcadian Blue (which comes up as that). As for Broncohio, needs to be added to the list for '66. I heard and have experienced incorrect and missing info as well. It happens! ;D

Attachments

• 1966 Color Chips.jpg
    1966 Color Chips.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 32

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Defiantly a rare Roadster with that color combo & history. I would not cut and lift it. Someday you will regret if you do.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
thats one awesome "as is " 66 !!! DONT CUT IT ! but def. Swap the bumper ! GL

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Cuttin this U13 would be like finding a wooly mammoth skeleton, then reshaping the bones into a saber toothed tiger skeleton. Don't do it man! :) lol But seriously, it's yours to enjoy how you wish, that is an outstanding U13 with character.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats on the Purchase and Good luck!!!

My thoughts are the same w/the lift, not sure you wanna go 8".. Lowest Center Of Gravity possible is your best Friend..

Look forward to more pics from the build..

broncorick

Another Hoosier here as well.......restore it to original!! Leave the paint but take back to original specs. The lifted modded bronco are easy to find and although are neat and fun what a neat history and I love the paint job. One of mine was a dealer ship ttuck (it is in my photo section) and I am going to duplicate the graphics on it). If you are in Indiana we should get together sometime. Have met some great guys her (word to Scott). Take care and post more pics!!

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Survivor's are extremely hot right now. I've received more complements in my '77 than any shiny show car I've had from the past.

OP
OP
R

Regulator

Bringing this thread back from the archives.

I have spent the last couple years working on other projects, but it is now time to turn my focus to the Bronco.

As I have already said in this thread, I am not interested in a show truck. I want something that I can offroad, and have it serve as a reminder of my father. I am not going to cut it, but I am planning an entire drive train overhaul.

I am curious if I can get some advice on selling the original parts. I am currently planning on replacing the engine, transmission, transfer case, and both axles. In addition, both front seats and rear seat, soft top cross bars and mounts (no tarp), and the front door frames.

Thank you in advance for your help.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Folks are reluctant to offer advice as you are about to destroy the collectibility of this U13. find another bronco to lift, cut, chop, and modify--it's not going to resemble anything you made memories with yours dad in once you modify it.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
No way I would even think about modifying a roadster like that. There are only a few hundred of these left. Every time you see an original Bronco roadster you will wish you had never touched it. Where would we be if every time a classic car was passed down, the new owner modified it to fit his current tastes?

Fix it, preserve it, and pass it on in the family just as it is. It may not be a perfect fit for your needs but it doesn't have to be. It's a piece of history and it has sentimental value.