• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new ball joints are knurled, old ones were smooth, is this O.K to install

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the walls of the new ball joints are knurled or "splined" to bite into the walls, is this O.K. to install? the old ones were smooth on the walls as are the walls in the steering knuckles.
reamer

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
If the old ones were smooth and the new ones (if correct) may be a challenge with the splines. Ideally do don't want to open the hole in the knuckle where the splines will go.

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
i just did this tonight.. removed old smooth ones and put in new knurled ones. went in realy easy i dont see any issues with em.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the practice was started as a "replacement" style for older, possibly worn bores. If I'm not mistaken, you can still get the smooth-bore type.
The knurls would conceivably promote better grip in a potentially worn or damaged hole, where a smooth type might be looser than desired.
I think...

Paul