• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New bronco VIN problem/advice

BroncoB-rad

Finally made my purchase of my first bronco. A beautiful 1970. Bought out of state and had inspected and all was good. Inspector reported all minor issues to me and told me had a clean title. (Didn't realize he never mentioned no vin)
Went today to transfer title and no vin to be found on car. Looked in all places. After some serious sanding on the frame I found the VIN

Only problem is it doesn't match title. Not even close. It's a U14 and title U15 and all other numbers off as well

Question is where do I go from here. Also even if the state issues me a title will likely be rebuilt title and therefore is this truck worth way less now if I ever sell it. It will never be a show truck so all matching numbers aren't a huge deal to me, just want to be sure it is still worth what I paid

Sorry for long post

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
TAKE IT BACK !!! .... glove box door should have I vin plate that matches the frame !

whats the vin on the frame ?

pic of glove box vin plate and driver strike post decal

Attachments

• LO6.jpg
    LO6.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 53
  • LO67x.jpg
    LO67x.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
BroncoB-rad

BroncoB-rad

Glove box is replaced with tough box. No vin there. Also none on kick plate or door
Frame is u14 (half cab) and body is not
Title is u15 vin which is consistent with body style

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
if any of the 2 vin's come up stolen you gona loose the Bronco !

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
-Welcome :)
-What state are you in?
-This might really suck before you get to the end
-Inspection didn't realize the vins didn't match? Hopefully this was a friend and not a business that was used for inspection.

First issue is to make sure the VIN/frame isn't stolen. If you can get the state to issue a title that matches the frame VIN, you can then get a warranty plate from Marti Auto with the correct info, and put it on the back of the glove box door.

OP
OP
BroncoB-rad

BroncoB-rad

In Florida
When I went to the title place couldn't find the VIN, went home and did some sanding and found frame vin with different numbers. Have not yet went back so no one knows from the state yet

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Find seller, document, document, document. Explain this is not a sold as is issue, this could be fraud or theft. They are on the hook not you, and they need to invest as much if not more to prove its all good. Tell them you are going to the police and lawyering up if they act stupid or deny. You'll figure out what they know in about 10 seconds when you call them.

What inspector? How is it a clean title with no VIN?

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
How is it a clean title with no VIN?

Resto w. frame swap ... Tuffy Security Glove Box door and no new strike post decal !

people in the past did it all the time .... built a donor frame w. all new mechanicals slowly for a few years and once all done swap the body over.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Chop shops did this all the time around here to Broncos in the '70s.

OP
OP
BroncoB-rad

BroncoB-rad

I've already spoken to the seller about it and he's working on it from his side. From Kentucky and he talk to the state and it seems they may be able to send a re-issuing plate for the original VIN? Just want to make sure they do not re-issue a new 17 digit Vin that doesn't resemble a classic bronco vin whatsoever and just reissue the original. Also running vin search on new vin to make sure not stolen
I am sure with this Kentucky state VIN re-issuing or a Marti tag I would be able to get the truck titled down here no problem. But that is just skirting around the issue and not really resolving it

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
We really need to make a sticky post or put it in the FAQ.

how to buy an EB 101!

never ever buy one without a glove box door.
always make sure the title, vin plate, and the frame stamps match.
include the locations of the frame stamps and methods for exposing them.

sounds like your on the right track. the new title should match your existing frame stamp. hopefully that VIN is good and kentucky will issue a new title without a lot of time/hassle. every state is different in how all of that works.

I would draw up some paperwork that puts the money you paid in an escrow account so if the vin comes back stolen you get your money back or some portion of it. Peace of mind is worth the couple of hundred bucks a lawyer would charge to handle it.

Attac

Contributor
Fort Lauderdale

Talk to franko he can help you. If you run into any problems PM me.
I'm in north fla. Here in FL the only thing we have to do is take the vin from the frame and have an LEO come by and verify it. There is a form on the dmv site for this. As soon as you do that take it to the dmv office and they will run a report on it from all 50 states. If it comes back clean then they will issue you a new title in your name after you pay sales tax on what you state you paid for it. This is the condensed version Franko will explain further;)
I bought two out of the back yard of a guys house and had the titles in a week from Tallahassee. Actual paperwork only took me 30 mins to do.
Chuck

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Talk to franko he can help you. If you run into any problems PM me.
I'm in north fla. Here in FL the only thing we have to do is take the vin from the frame and have an LEO come by and verify it. There is a form on the dmv site for this. As soon as you do that take it to the dmv office and they will run a report on it from all 50 states. If it comes back clean then they will issue you a new title in your name after you pay sales tax on what you state you paid for it. This is the condensed version Franko will explain further;)
I bought two out of the back yard of a guys house and had the titles in a week from Tallahassee. Actual paperwork only took me 30 mins to do.
Chuck

Chuck, are those titles transferable to other states? Is it a legit title or one they just issue an new vin plate? I've been trying to understand bonds insurance and stuff on vehicles sold without titles. Every state is different.
Matt