• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New C4

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Alright time for a new C4 trans mines crappin out. Does any one have any ideas who to order from and is there anything the I should watch out for or make sure that it comes with i.e. like the tail shaft or something like that?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Might be better to get yours rebuilt, that way you can make sure it's right. Theres got to be a good trans shop in the Tri-Cities.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Your pretty much out of luck trying to order one for a bronco. Noobody sells 4X4 C4's Broncos were the only 4x4 vehicle that used a C4 so the market is fairly small. As was said find you a local shop to rebuild yours might even work out better if any warrentee issues come up.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's cheaper to have one rebuilt than to buy a rebuilt C4 and anyone that knows how to build C4s can build a Bronco C4.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Hey I once saw a kit awhile ago that dropped third gear from 1 to i think it was like .88. anyone ever heard of this? Just woundering, I dont have the money to put a 4 speed trans in there but when i bought my bronco the guy had redone the front and rear diffs and put arb 4.87 in it when he did his locker. now with that and 35's i'm crusin about 2800 at 65. Any thought on anything else I can do.

Also is there any really weak parts in the c4 that I need to spend the extra money and upgrade? It a weekend warrior so she sees mostly sand and sometime trails when I go to the mountains.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I can't even figure out why you'd want a brand new one from wherever, when you have a good core just sittin there. it's cheaper, service is generally better, and any good tranny guy can be persuaded to do upgrades for beer. (C4s don't even really need upgrades. they are pretty stout stock)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey I once saw a kit awhile ago that dropped third gear from 1 to i think it was like .88. anyone ever heard of this? Just woundering, I dont have the money to put a 4 speed trans in there but when i bought my bronco the guy had redone the front and rear diffs and put arb 4.87 in it when he did his locker. now with that and 35's i'm crusin about 2800 at 65. Any thought on anything else I can do.

Also is there any really weak parts in the c4 that I need to spend the extra money and upgrade? It a weekend warrior so she sees mostly sand and sometime trails when I go to the mountains.

There are no 3rd gear ratio changes possible. In 3rd the input shaft is basically locked up through the forward and direct clutches to the output shaft. There is no way to change the ratio.

Upgrades really depend on how much power you're putting through it. It's easy to add extra clutches but the tradeoff is more internal drag. A 200 hp engine doesn't need it but if you're pushing over 300 hp it may be a good idea. Upgrading the case and pump to C5 specs will help with the extra power too. A shift kit is always good if you don't mind firm shifts. Everything else is good until you get into high hp numbers. Careful and correct clutch and endplay clearances will do more for longevity than anything else.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Alright willl do, i'm pushing just over 325 hp, so i'll do some upgrades. What about the dana 20? Any ungrades for that? Anyways I think I found a local guy that will rebuild for me and do any upgrades that i want as long as I buy and then bring them to him. I dont know crap about trans and transfer cases so this si all new to me.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The only upgrade for the D20 is the 300M rear output shaft shaft. I've read a little about a Scout front output shaft being bigger and working for the front though.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately I have found the same in the Phoenix area, most places want 1000-1200 for a rebuilt with any type of warranty beyond 90 days.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
why not just build it yourself. C4's are probably the easiest transmission you could tangle with. Besides for a grand you could have one heck of a beefy C4!

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
I'm not that good with tranmissions, engines yes trans not so much, plus no real shop to do it, i'm a drive way mechanic. if I could find someone around here that is willing to do it I would let them.