• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New drums won't fit

I know this is something simple and stupid, but I'm at my wits end. I've changed plenty of drum brakes, but surrendering my pride...the new drums won't slide over the new shoes.

I replaced everything on the rear brakes on both sides (spring kit, adjuster kit, shoes, drums) except the backing plates. Bought all parts from Autozone specific to a 1977 Bronco. Cleaned the backing plate and lubed seats.

I know you're thinking...
Squeeze the wheel cylinder pistons...but I did and the shoes are tight against the pivot stud. Loosened bleeder valve even still.
Screw the adjuster all the way...but it is.
The adjuster isn't seated properly on the shoes...but it is, so I think.
It's the parking brake...but no parking brake installed.
The shoes aren't centered on the backing plate...but I've moved it around and there isn't a larger gap on one side of the drum.
Don't buy Autozone parts...so I tried Napa.

WHAT AM I OVERLOOKING??!

pics of the drivers side, but same issue on both sides.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7840/47294063321_e581666391_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7847/47294063331_3c34b15b1a_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7808/47294063301_2b0e436448_b.jpg

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
It may be just the angle of the picture...but in your first pic. the right side braking material (shoe) looks thicker?

It's been a while since I had drums.... I don't remember them being different in thickness...

Aloha

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, do you have the old shoes to compare to the new ones?
In the first picture it looks like the shoes are wider then the backing plate.
If the shoes are the same as the old ones compare the star adjusters.
Good luck

OP
OP
S
It may be just the angle of the picture...but in your first pic. the right side braking material (shoe) looks thicker?

It's been a while since I had drums.... I don't remember them being different in thickness...

Aloha

yes, they are different thicknesses for the primary and secondary shoe. Set I got from Napa are the same. Thanks

Hotrodjohn

What B RON CO says, shoe size, adjuster size. Ive never had to screw the adjuster all the way in to fit even with new shoes.... I have seen new shoes that were thicker like that on the rear shoe.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Is there a difference in front and rear adjusters? We had a similar problem with a 66 mustang and swapping front to back fixed it (we have 4 drums not sure if your running front disk) best of luck.

OP
OP
S
Hi, do you have the old shoes to compare to the new ones?
In the first picture it looks like the shoes are wider then the backing plate.
If the shoes are the same as the old ones compare the star adjusters.
Good luck

Unfortunately I don't. Trashed them when I pulled them. I do though have the old drums and they will go on, but I assume that's the 42 years of wear... about 1/8" larger dia.
Outside drum diameter is the same.
No, it's just the angle. The shoes are about 3/8" inside the backing plate all around.
Thanks

OP
OP
S
Is there a difference in front and rear adjusters? We had a similar problem with a 66 mustang and swapping front to back fixed it (we have 4 drums not sure if your running front disk) best of luck.

Good question, but being a '77 they only came with front discs+rear drum. There was no option for front drums in the parts stores' computers.

OP
OP
S
What B RON CO says, shoe size, adjuster size. Ive never had to screw the adjuster all the way in to fit even with new shoes.... I have seen new shoes that were thicker like that on the rear shoe.

That's what I boiled it down to, but the Napa adjuster is the same size. I'll try different shoes tomorrow. And yeah, usually you have to back out the adjuster for some drag.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
2 things. I'm not seeing the upper spreader bar. Also if the rear lining is thicker, wouldn't that throw the assembly off center so the front shoe may be hitting something on the backing plate it shouldn't. It doesn't look like any of the parts houses shoes have different thickness's between the front and back. My 2 cents.

hucklburry rev2

Looks installed correctly and like you said, you've done this before.
The drums sound correct for a 77 big bearing at 11x2.25 and your drums measure 11"ID.
Whats the OD you measure shoe to shot installed? I don't recall ever having a thicker pad on a shoe, although some people have, if the OD is larger than the ID, I'd do what you said above and find same thickness shoes.

Even these look the same so that is where I would look - https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...11-x-2.25-76-77-early-ford-bronco-new-per-set

hatleyjm

Let me preface this to say, I'm not a drum brake expert by any means. Have you tried swapping the shoes around (i.e. front shoe to rear or swapping sides)? Or checking back with your parts store to make sure they gave you the correct shoes? How do the shoes align with the top of the backing plate vs the bottom? I would think if your brake cylinder or adjuster were the issue there'd be a difference in the gap. How does the profile of the thinner shoe align with your backing plate? Is the thicker shoe's profile different?

Good luck. I remember doing my first rear brake job... Springs, parts, and curse words were flying everywhere...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While I've never seen shoes of a different thickness on the same application, I'm not expert enough to rule it out and say it's impossible someone didn't design them that way.
However, it's becoming way too common for shoes and disc pads to be too thick to install.

I've personally run into both on Broncos and other vehicles. Shoes to thick was the first one, then a couple of years ago ran into pads to thick. By about 1/8"!!! No way they were going over that rotor.

I would check back with the local stores and see if they have different brands, or if the same brand is available with different sizes.

Paul

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
While I've never seen shoes of a different thickness on the same application, I'm not expert enough to rule it out and say it's impossible someone didn't design them that way.
However, it's becoming way too common for shoes and disc pads to be too thick to install.

I've personally run into both on Broncos and other vehicles. Shoes to thick was the first one, then a couple of years ago ran into pads to thick. By about 1/8"!!! No way they were going over that rotor.

I would check back with the local stores and see if they have different brands, or if the same brand is available with different sizes.

Paul
I agree with Paul, I had the same problem with my son's 85 trans am, front pads were to thick and on my 97 ford brake shoes, you said the drums measured a 1/8 inch difference, that's pretty big of a difference to me, I would check another brand for the drums to be sure your new drums are wright. Do your old drums fit the new shoes?

OP
OP
S
Sorry, just now got home and free where I could work on it again.
IT WAS THE SHOES!! Aaarrrgghh Autozone!
Picked up shoes from Napa and everything fits as it should. Btw the shoes are still different thicknesses and different pad lengths for the primary and secondary shoe.
Thanks for all the feedback. Learned my parts store lesson.

hucklburry rev2

I don't buy parts from autozone anymore, Napa or O'reilly only for me if not from rockauto. I drive by at least one autozone to get to either one of those.

Glad you got it figured out.