• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Forum Member and New Bronco Owner

rbodine

DSC00042.jpg
I have been watching the site and reading the articles for some time now. I finally pulled the trigger on an early bronco after many years of wanting one. I found a 69 bronco that spent its life in New Mexico. It has been sitting in here in Florida for about 2 or 3 years now with the no top so there is surface rust on the floors, but there is not rot on the body itself. I spent all day today cleaning and found a rust hole the size of a silver dollar under the drivers gas foot. The body itself has primer all over it and some bondo to fix a dent under the rockers, but no rust there. I ground it out and looked, no rust!
The drivers and passenger floors are pitted with surface rust, it hit them with a rust converter and later a top cot of aresol paint just to help protect it a little until I figure out where no go with the project.
The bronco has a 302, automatic, 9inch rear, 30 front. The guy I purchased it from gave me a dana 44 for the front out of a 73 or 74 bronco, should I put it in?
Also, the bronco came with a manual three speed and now has a shift on the column automatic. I will try to post pics as I go. And I am sure I will chime in with more questions so thanks in advance. http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/1rbodine/69 Bronco/DSC00042.jpg?t=1280632282

Last edited:

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
I would put the 44 in.....tougher piece. If it already has a disc brake setup that would make it even better. If it doesnt, there's quite a few out there for it.

good luck on your rig
and have fun

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Well it does have disc brakes but they are so rusted it doesnt really count. I have alot of questions, but will start slowly.
#1. How do the different tanks work, how do you know what tank you are using.
#2. Does anyone know what the round handle under the drivers seat it?
3. How do you upload pics?

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Well it does have disc brakes but they are so rusted it doesnt really count. I have alot of questions, but will start slowly.
#1. How do the different tanks work, how do you know what tank you are using.
#2. Does anyone know what the round handle under the drivers seat it?
3. How do you upload pics?

I'm pretty new here to but I can help you with question #3. It looks like you have a photbucket account, so the best way is to open two windows on explorer. Click on the photo from your photobucket album and then click on the direct link button on the left side of the screen. This will put the web link to the picture into memory. Next go to your post on the forum and click the little picture with the mountains at the top of the post window. You should then get a pop up window. Right click in the address bar and paste the link to your photobucket direct link. Submit your post and you should see the photo.

MattW

Not sure if it's different on a '66, but the fuel gauge works via a switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel. It will say 'main' and 'reserve'. The handle under the seat is what controls which tank the fuel comes from. Put them both on the same tank and you should be good to go provided the gauge works, the selector works and the lines are in good shape :)

Welcome to the site as well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Need to figure out if the axle gear ratios are the same before swapping that D44 in if they are not the same then it wont do you any good until the gears are swapped to match. While the D44 is a better unit there are many D30's still working fine after all these years. If your staying with 33in tires or smaller and not wheeling hard I'd leave the D30 in until it breaks.
If the 73 D44 has disc brakes already you may be able to swap them over to your D30.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Well I finally figured out how to post pics, as you can see...It "aint" pretty, but there really isnt any rust. I found a hole the size of a half dollar under the drivers heel, but it has been sitting for years. It runs and drives, but it is tired!! More pictures will follow..

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

thanks Kyle... I have been a Jeep guy for the last 20 yrs, still am, but I have wanted to build a Bronco since my father passed away 8 years ago...I can remember he had a blue72 or 73 for the first 10 or 12 years of my life..I think he would like this one, he was a definite car (jeep and bronco) guy also. In fact, we moved to florida in 1980 in that Bronco!

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
As usual bronconaz is onto to something with the gear ratios. My '66 had a small bearing rear end and D30 front both with 4:11 gears. When I got my D44 I had to change the gears in it because they were 3:50 gears. This could be another deterant to putting in the D44 right now. The is something that definitely needs to be determined before you make any decisions.

Has anyone else noticed that the PO has graphed in a set of front fender cutouts into the rear quarter panel. Looks like a pretty good job from here too.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Smoke, yes I noticed that when I first when to look at it. Some also pointed out that under the hood appears to be original color, I have found two different blues on the bronco, a very light blue and a darker blue. I believe the original is the lighter blue, interestingly enough the bronco we moved to florida in was that baby blue...

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I just realized that I typed 66 bronco, it is actually a 69 Bronco...

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Well, I spent the last two days cleaning and sanding. I am not doing the body just yet, but I did want to protect it until I get ready to. The interior was starting to surface rust b/c the paint had gotten pretty thin, and being exposed to our temp and humidity in FL. It is like a puzzle getting into a project like this. The, trans case had no fluid in it, there was not transmission cooler hooked up yet (he hadnt driven the Bronco yet), the radiator was barely held in, and so on.
Today I also installed another speedo cluster...My goal is to get it running and stopping well first, then worry about the body. I will be ordering a front disc brake conversion next week, either from ebay, Toms or Wild Horses, thanks to advice from everyone here..
I also took the Bronco our for its maiden voyage today. It made it all the way to my mother inlaws about 2 miles and back w/o me having to walk or call for help!!
DSC00079-1.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

The ugly bikini top, well that was just something temporary to help block some sun while I was working on the wiring..

Also, I am trying to find some of the rods that unlatch the doors. Both are missing from the key down, the drivers side is missing from the ext button down. I am probably missing more, but havent figured it out yet. If you have these please message me..