• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New LED Tail Lights from Tom's

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I just installed some new LED tail lights and new lenses and I'm very happy. Here's the Link to the kit I got from Tom's.

The first pic is with the lights on. The second is the brake lights. It's hard to get good pics of lights, but trust me, they are much better. You should be able to tell from the pics which one is the old vs the new.

I've seem some expensive LED kits out there, but the $80 I paid for their most basic kit, is money well spent in my mind.

Attachments

• P1060662.jpg
    P1060662.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 247
  • P1060664.jpg
    P1060664.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 243
  • P1060665.jpg
    P1060665.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 211
  • P1060666.jpg
    P1060666.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P1060667.jpg
    P1060667.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 181

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Those are the same exact ones that ICON uses on their Broncos. I'll be the second one to say, they are amazingly bright and badass led tail lights!!! The first time I saw them in action I was amazed. A must have!

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I need to place an order at Toms, I will be adding those to the list. Do you simply take out the bulb and plug the led into the bulb socket?

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Hey Bro,
Did you put some threadlocker on the screws? Did you use security anit-tamper screws?
Just wondering what kind of tools I will need next time you come to Yuma...

hahah

Just kidding. Nice post. Thanks.

mini73

Been wanting to do this but was unsure it was worth it due to the cost but as I can see from you pics, looks like it is money well spent! on my list now to do. Thanks for posting

SeanT4x4

Hey Bro,
Did you put some threadlocker on the screws? Did you use security anit-tamper screws?

hahah

Yuma, Az?? The only other bronco Ive seen cruising in Yuma is a red one with a white hard top

OP
OP
malonejy

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Hey Bro,

hahah

Hey Joker, guess where I'm at? That's right, Yuma, without the Bronco though. I had to come over for a conference. 110 degrees is to hot for me, I'm outta here!

OP
OP
malonejy

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Forgive me, but I don't get it. I can appreciate without a 3rd, center light, that brighter brake lights are a modest, safety advantage. But most of us have a list of stuff that is a far more compelling to throw $80 at. Heck, may want to give the GE Night Hawk bulbs a try. At $4.71 for a pair of 408 lumen lamps, probably indistinguishable from the LED product. At least that was the opinion on my bike and older cars.

http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=COMMERCIALSPECPAGE&PRODUCTCODE=89236

Don, I won't argue with your logic, but I've seen more expensive kits out there so I was willing to drop the $80. As you mentioned, there is a safety improvement. I was cruising home after a night run and someone almost rear ended me on the freeway. The speed limit was 75 and I was probably going about 60. He was likely going about 80 and I didn't even see him until he narrowly swerved around me. That night I told myself that brighter taillights were on the list. My wife and kids are usually with me.

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
I also like the idea of taking some of the load from the stock wiring, as the LED's draw considerably less amperage.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I got a plug in set of led bulbs from the parts store for a few bucks but these are waay better.I modified some led trailer markers for the front.I did have to wire a regular bulb/load on each side under the hood so my blinkers would work.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I can see why they are more expensive

Hey if it keeps some idiot from hitting you Its totally worth it

I thought you could get a flasher that had a timer instead of a bi metal strip