• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Location for Hydroboost

Buddy's 70

Here is some pics on the finished hydroboost.Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• Hydroboost (1).jpg
    Hydroboost (1).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Hydroboost (2).jpg
    Hydroboost (2).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Hydroboost (3).jpg
    Hydroboost (3).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Hydroboost (4).jpg
    Hydroboost (4).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Hydroboost (5).jpg
    Hydroboost (5).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Hydroboost (6).jpg
    Hydroboost (6).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Hydroboost (7).jpg
    Hydroboost (7).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Hydroboost (8).jpg
    Hydroboost (8).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 152

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats nice you should get with a vender and try to market that setup. I considered doing something similar.

bosshoff

Contributor
I'd be worried about hysteresis or "slop" in the linkages, especially because you are transfering the torque latterally from the pedal over to the booster. It looks like the shaft which connects the booster to the pedal is not mounted to the bracket/base, but is attached to the body. I would think this would be a huge red flag.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
the work is nice but personally I think any of the brake linkage systems including angle brackets are not safe.

I agree with bosshoff, there is some room for slop in that design. Do you trust your welds enough to put your life on them?

Remember, if your booster goes out, your have to apply enough pedal pressure with your foot to stop the truck.

bosshoff

Contributor
I don't doubt his welds, I doubt the design. What keeps the Hydroboost from pulling away from the horizontal shaft? The shaft is secured to the body using pillow block bearings, but the hydrobosst is secured to the bracket. I don't get this? IMO to make this safer, pillow block bearings should be attached to the bracket, not the body.
The other thing is now you have a foot long horizontal "jackshaft" transfering the motion. This is a big variable.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There could be some improvements in the linkage as I dont care for it either. But over all the concept is good.
As far as safe thats your call. If you think about it a regular booster or MC is just bolted to sheetmetal firewall. Not a lot else you can do you need linkage the nice part is it gets it away from the engine.
As for the what keeps the H booster from pulling away? I think your over thinking it. The H boost doesnt make any movements other than pushing towards the MC. MC is bolted to the H boost thats the only area where there is any pushing pressure. The linkage activiates the Hbooster does only that. spring or hydraulic pressure within the H boost allows the pedal/linkage to come back just as a standard MC or booster does. The H boost doesnt work on its own so it wont pull the linkage away.

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
I like the idea. I think I've seen a car that had the brake booster with a mounting location similar to that.

bosshoff

Contributor
I understand I may be over thinking this to quote you, but I know that when I stomp on my brake pedal at 60 MPH, with all of the force of my two legs, plus the inertia of my body slowing down in the car pushing forward, ALL of this force gets transferred to that little shaft sticking out of the rear of the Hydroboost, period. If something "binds" between my foot, and that shaft, that "travel" is going to go somewhere. Introducing additional areas of potential failure or "binding", does not really seem like a start of a sound engineering process. I think that this design is on the right path, but clearly is not all the way there.
I am not a P.E., however I work with P.E's to engineer systems every day, and I always teach them to eliminate variables which could lead to failure at every step. In my experience, this is the best way.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I hear you as I said I dont care for the linkage design he has either. I would have the linkage mounted to the brackets at both ends. I agree its better to be safe than sorry. Still if your going 60mph and have H boost you wont need to stomp on it with both feet. Although you may want that linkage to break before you go through the window. Still if mounted properly theres no reason that linkage wont hold up.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Looks good to me dude! Especially for guys w/ efi manifold clearance issues. Personally, if I stomped on my pedal hard enough to break that linkage I think my seatbelt would break first throwing me through the windsheild w/ as good as my hydroboost works!

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
beautiful looking work at least....have u put many miles on it since the install? hi speed stopping, trailing etc???, for a guy who lacks space under the hood, I would consider it....

70_Steve

Old Guy
...but I know that when I stomp on my brake pedal at 60 MPH, with all of the force of my two legs, plus the inertia of my body slowing down in the car pushing forward, ALL of this force gets transferred to that little shaft sticking out of the rear of the Hydroboost, period.
Did ya ever look under the dash at the brake pedal, and that little 5/16" pin that's transferring "all of the force of my two legs, plus the inertia of my body slowing down in the car pushing forward"?

A well designed brake system shouldn't require you to ask your buddy to slide over and help push on the brake pedal.

I like the design, and may wind up doing something similar. My criticism is the arc that the arms off of the shaft go through. (Hindsight's always 20/20) I would have mounted the shaft a little farther away from the firewall, so the arc that the attaching point on the arms travels through is, in this case, closest to level.

abunchofidiots

Loc.
North Charleston
The other thing you may want to do is setup your pivot arms to come down to each side of input and output shafts. This way you create a double sheer around the retaining bolt, as well as minimize side to side movement of the arms.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I got bored at work so I modeled this up real quick:

Not to scale and needs some tweaking but you get the idea. In production it could be formed from a single piece. Even use the same fasteners that the angle bracket uses.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I got bored at work so I modeled this up real quick:

Not to scale and needs some tweaking but you get the idea. In production it could be formed from a single piece. Even use the same fasteners that the angle bracket uses.
Pretty cool. How about making the ends, where the tabs are for the shaft, solid from top to bottom, to mount 2-bolt flange bearings. And the hole for the shaft has to be very near the top.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Pretty cool. How about making the ends, where the tabs are for the shaft, solid from top to bottom, to mount 2-bolt flange bearings. And the hole for the shaft has to be very near the top.

Too late, I didn't bother to save. If I get bored again, I can redo it.