• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New owner ignition/dizzy ?'s

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
I bought a 75 Bronco and the PO did not know much about what the owner previous to him had done to the engine. I have already discovered that the alt. was swapped to a 94-95 Mustang style. This is going to be fun trying to figure out what I have.
I am looking to do a minor tune up, plugs wires, cap, rotor. The existing dizzy is not a points style. Is there an easy way of looking to see if it has a Duraspark already? What year did Duraspark come out, so I can try to get those parts if that is what I have?
I tried to replace the ICM, and the wires did not match, the black and purple wires are swapped. Can I just cut and solder them into the correct location or is the ICM different in other ways between stock and Duraspark or other non-points distributors?
Thanks for the help.
Scott

OP
OP
E

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
Trying to post pics....
DSC00019.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

And one of the truck.
DSC00003.JPG

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Definetly a duraspark just has the small cap. with your air cleaner you may not have room for a larger cap so just stick with pre 75 cap and rotor for replacements. 75 was when duraspark first came out so you should be fine using your year model bronco. Same goes for the wires but make sure you have suppresor type. You shouldnt need to change out the control module unless you are having iginition issues like the engine dying for no reason. but check your current module what color is the plastic strip where the wires come out? Usually you want a replacement that has the same color but I dont think there is any issue with the burple and black wires i believe they only appear not to be in the correct order. as basically all the distributers from 75 up to around 86 interchange. so the wiring is the same between them all. i wouldnt try rewiring it.

OP
OP
E

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
Cool, Thanks for the info.
The parts store lists a different spark plug for a 75 than mine has currently installed. They say an Autolite 25, it has Autolite 45's in it now.
I have been chasing down a noise in the radio issue, hard starting at times also, so I thought that I would change out the ICM as it was cheap. there are actually 2 icm's in it now, one on the firewall not plugged into anything, might have had a Duraspark sticker on it at one time, I can see where the sticker went, but it is gone, and one ICM mounted on the inner fender, a Wells unit that is plugged in. Both have a green plastic piece, the new one from AutoZone has a blue piece. The wires all come out of the ICM in the same order, on the AutoZone one they are different at the plug. All the wire colors match, ICM to harness on the old ones, the new one is different. I will leave it alone for now, but if it starts acting up more, I will look into it further.
Where is the date code located on the block? I found the casting number C80E-6015-A.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Ford changed the spark plug size from 18mm to 14 mm threads in 1975. If you have the larger plugs it's an earlier head. Block casting indicates 1968, but it's the heads that would be different.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
yep you have the earlier larger plug just make sure you gap them at about .044 for the elctronic igintion.
Casting code is near the starter you have to remove it to see it but it appears you have a 68 block and probably heads as well.
The blue striped module is usually the prefered one but I'm not sure of the wiring the only thing I've heard of is that the wiring on the other plug cuases issues ie you probably have a blue wire on the green module and only a red and white wire on the blue module.
basically if its currently working fine I'd leave it as is maybe take your blue module back and get a green one to carry as a spare.