• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new steering column

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
i just got my new steering column and lower shaft. im wondering if this part on my steering box is a legit part or home made rig job from the previous owner to make it fit on a new part.
it looks like a piece of leather and bolts to make it fit to a power steering box.
IMG_0384.jpg

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
That is probably a legit part, I've seen them before on other vehicles. However, I don't think it's a Bronco part!

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
That is probably a legit part, I've seen them before on other vehicles. However, I don't think it's a Bronco part!

I'm wondering since the 66 didn't have power steering. If you converted to power steering, would you need to replace the lower steering shaft or column too?

Matt_brianna

Loc.
Rapid City
Yes. The power steering box is longer so you would need to cut a few inches off your steering shaft and add new u-jpint on it. I have one already modified that I just took out of my 72 if you decide to go that way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's just your basic "rag-joint" for use with power steering systems. Reduces the vibrations and noise that are more easily transmitted up through a solid shaft.
While most you see might be up near the column end, some were made with it near the box, like on yours.

They probably last longer up near the top, since they're likely to stay away from power steering fluid. But yours seems to be pretty dry and tidy for it's age.

Paul