• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Tires - Pitbulls?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got an add out looking for some bigger tires, but after review time, I'm entertaining the idea of buying new...

If I were to buy new - I'm looking at a 42" tire, I need a significant jump to justify it, going from 37's to 42's should be a huge difference.

My Bronco is a trailer queen - I'm welded front and rear and it doesn't see any tar.
IMG_20130615_102419_356_zps24a714c7.jpg

I've run 32" BFG's, 34" LTB's and these 37" Boggers and I really miss how well those LTB's grabbed everything. The Bogger steer is getting a little old as well, but with the Atlas I can steer easy enough, but sometimes I battle on line placement due to the front end sliding sideways with ease.

I'm looking at either 42" TSL SX's or Pitbull Rockers - my only concern is that I rarely see Rockers in the area, Interco tires seem to rule this land.

I've got no doubt to what a TSL SX can do in my area, but I've got no experience with a Pitbull tire. Does anyone here have them and have any comments regarding that tire?

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
IMHO- East Coast wheeling is best suited to TSLs or TSL/SXs. I have run both and love them. When I was running 42 TSLs, I watched guys with PBRs & Iroks struggle with the same terrain the TSLs would walk over. When I moved up, I went with 44" TSLs. I have thought about converting to the 43" SX and may do it once my Bronco Crawler is done.

Jumping from 37 to 42 will make such a difference, I think any tread would be a benefit- especially over the boggers!

Of course you know what they say about opinions... everybody has one.;D

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Kyle, you said trailer queen, ever had that thing offroad, lol. I've seen your many post and always wondered what yours looked like, now I know. Nothing fancy, but I've stared at it for several minutes, looking at all you've done, all the time thinking, zonian, what a beast. Is there any place it won't go? Can't help you on the tires, David has Pitbulls on Spareparts, I think and says they work really well on rocks. Maybe he'll chime in for you.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Kyle, you said trailer queen, ever had that thing offroad, lol. I've seen your many post and always wondered what yours looked like, now I know. Nothing fancy, but I've stared at it for several minutes, looking at all you've done, all the time thinking, zonian, what a beast. Is there any place it won't go? Can't help you on the tires, David has Pitbulls on Spareparts, I think and says they work really well on rocks. Maybe he'll chime in for you.

Haha - nothing too fancy, but it sure does work. It does nearly anything I point it at, and I'm at a disadvantage with 1 tons and 37's - 35's on a D44 has more clearance. I've sheered off many diff cover bolts - time for bigger tires.

I've got a tire groover and I'm not afraid to groove or sipe - but I just see so many TSL's over the Rockers, I have to wonder why...

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Creepies or SX's over the PBR's is what I say. Out here it is tough to beat the TSL and IMHO it is a very well built tire.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm leaning towards the SX's as well - I don't see the rockers here and they just don't look aggressive enough for our wet terrain.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My friend just upgraded his 42" IROC balloons to 43" TSL SX's on his 78/79 Bronco after going through the same argument...in the end, he chose the SX's for almost the same reason, just not enough guys in this area rockin' the PB Rockers. That plus I think he paid less for the SX's to his door. His rig is similar to yours with a D60/14-bolt axle combo and roughly comparable wheelbase, little longer at 105"-ish, but he only wheels in the tight PNW woods and mud.

Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I'm at 100" right now - I'm going to look for some deals locally, but if I don't find what I'm after, I just might have to order a set.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
PBRs are a great tire.. Sounds like you should listen to the folks that crawl in your area and go with the TSLs..

Good luck

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
TSL's it is - the boss doesn't care how I spend my bonus either, lol, I'm glad I'm marrying this one...

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
Ah, opinions, I ve had several sets of IROKs (current) and have always been pleased, east coast guy but wheeled Moab with them in Sept. Great all-around tire.
wheel with guys with the PBRs with success, also new MTR seems like a good tire.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have heard that the pit bulls often have problems with balancing. But with a trailer queen it may not be an issue. 40 oz. of weight is not unheard of.

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
No!!! To the pitbulls. Seen plenty in action on many set ups, the rigs struggled, and in most cases didn't make it. They clean out fine, but just don't grab. I think it's the lug placement, I may be wrong. These where in moderate to hard trails, round rocks, ledges, raining, and muddy rocky trails with inclines. Tsl or the irock is my only choice.

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I've had 38.5" TSL SX's before on a previous truck and 42" PBR on my crawler now. The areas I wheel are a mix of mud/dirt and rocks. I don't see a noticeable difference between the two. I think they're both excellent tires. I would go with the SX's just because they're taller.

dan1

Go with the 43" SX. I'm running them on my rig and love them. I just wish they were the sticky 43's.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
TSL's it is - the boss doesn't care how I spend my bonus either, lol, I'm glad I'm marrying this one...

Good catch!! Mine bought me a set of coilover shocks for Christmas a couple years ago. Doesn't get much better!!!

You won't be disappointed with the TSLs. Give them a little time to break in- they soften with use. I really want to try to 43 SX though...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I can stuff my current 37's into my fenders already, the 42's are going to require some serious bump stops, I think 43's would be too big.