• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Tires - Pitbulls?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I ran the PBR's for 4 years, they did pretty good until the dirt and rocks got wet. They need a bunch of wheel speed to clean out and I have seen a set of old Swampers walk a line I had to spin up. They were on a lot less capable rig and made mine look silly. I wanted to go with a 40" LTB... but they have been back ordered for 3 years now. So I settled with TSL's.

My other set is the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, I would not recommend them in a muddy environment. Mine are about half tread and wouldn't grab anything. My friend with PRB's walked up a loose trail when I had to do full throttle assaults on it. On dry rock they kicked the PBR's ass...but wet Missouri clay and mud...they suck. No reports on them after I grooved them, I'm more than likely going to keep them for the Moab, Arkansas and Oklahoma trips where I know there isn't any mud.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Perfect, thanks for the info man - things are typically wet here and that is probably why the TSL/Boggers are so damn popular. I've been waiting a set of 40" LTB's for some time now - but that are made out of unobtanium...

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
a6ehunu8.jpg

I grooved the TSL's as recommend by many. Haven't had a chance to take them out since...but I know I'll be happy!

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
a6ehunu8.jpg

I grooved the TSL's as recommend by many. Haven't had a chance to take them out since...but I know I'll be happy!

Mine are grooved in a straight line across the 'chevrons' in the middle. It definitely helps flexibility of the tire and gives more edges to grab. My old 38 TSLs were grooved the same way yours are and it improved them as well.

Mine on my old crawler (44")

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'll probably run them for awhile, but I will be grooving the middle chevrons - should be that way out of the box.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I wanted the tire to look a little cooler than grooving straight across. I alternated the pattern...one straight, then one Y. Hopefully the alternating pattern will allow it to grab on the diagonal line when it won't on the straight....

tygyju4y.jpg

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I get it... I am more the plain brown wrapper kind of guy... Is that what you're sayin?? ;D

They should come with more grooves, but they have to be DOT and these treads were DOT approved in the late 70s or early 80s. No need to mess with a recipe that flat out works!

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I get it... I am more the plain brown wrapper kind of guy... Is that what you're sayin?? ;D

They should come with more grooves, but they have to be DOT and these treads were DOT approved in the late 70s or early 80s. No need to mess with a recipe that flat out works!

Nope... Not trying to imply that your a plain brown wrapper! I always have to see what's outside the box. They are a time proven tire...what other tire has been around that long?