• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to me 74-351W install

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I got lucky and bought this 74 from a friend that lives close by. It has a 3.5" lift and looks like a 1" body lift (not sure yet). No motor or trans, No wire harness. I found a 1972 351w that a local Mechanic had in his shop sitting for the past 2 years. It's very dirty but he says it runs and don't smoke or knock. The block number is D2AE-6015-BA15. Front sump pan.

The first thing I did was order a PAINLESS Harness and a rear sump pan kit.

When I pull the front sump pan and the valve covers, I will get an idea of what kind of shape this motor is in. If it all looks good I'm going to drop it in and fire it up. If this motor won't run for me, I will pull it and make it a 408 Stroker.

I've been reading 351W threads for about a week and I'm not sure how to go about the front dress. I don't want to do the Explorer front dress so I'm looking for guidance on using my leftover 302 parts or just using what's on it now. See the pictures below and let me know what you think. Thanks All

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 62

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
From another post
87-93 Mustang Timing Cover has the mechanical fuel pump Boss.

Use the F-series/Bronco 94-97 serpentine system (F4TA on Brackets) with that water pump as well.

Champion Aluminum Radiator, 1 1/2" Spacer and 17" Mechanical Fan with stock Fan Shroud..

Everything fits with only minor trimming/grinding on back side of PS Bracket (it's aluminum, not bad at all) to clear mechanical pump and maybe some trimming on Fan Shroud.

This whole set-up works with 302/5.0L and 351w.

You can also get the set-up from a 87-93 Mustang but replace the PS Bracket with the F-series/Bronco one. everything will line up perfect. About a 90" Fan Belt with AC or AC Delete.

Easiest to install and cleanest looking setup - IMO

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What transmission do you plan to run?

You want to use leftover 302 parts. I guess that means you have some random 302 parts? What are they? If you have enough of them an alternator adaptor bracket may be all you need. I'm guessing you will probably need more then that. Ford V-belt accessory drives are a bastard when it comes to mixing and matching. So much stuff won't align with other stuff. And a lot of the common stuff is long. As in not enough room between the crank pulley and the radiator for a fan to spin.

How many bolts are holding the pulley onto the crank damper? Guessing 4. That is the common later pattern. Which isn't compatible with the Bronco 3 bolt accessory drive.

What do you have against the Explorer drive? They are really good. But if you are looking for that old look, then V-belt it is. Most all of the serpentine belt drives are long and don't package very well. Accessories in the frame rail type of stuff. I wouldn't recommend any serpentine besides the Explorer.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I really don't like the look of a serpentine setup in a EB. That's just me, I'm very old school. I was wanting to go with the closest to stock look that I can using a V-Belt setup. I would be open to a Serpentine setup if it would make my engine run cooler, or has other advantages. That seems to be the biggest problem with the 351W swap. I should have said all this in my first post but was thinking that it was getting too long.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I have a complete C4, adapter and TC ready to go. I also have a 74 302 complete front dress from a bad motor. My 351 bottom pulley has 3 bolts then there is the big bolt in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 25

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pennyduke - 351w - Stock looking and sitting for 2 years. I would have the motor rebuilt before going through a complete install.

Tatersalad hit it right on the nose. The 94-97 (F-Series, Bronco) 5.0L-5.8L is a very good option for the front dress serpentine system. All of my builds use this set-up. Install this with a stock style radiator, spacer and a Rigid 17" fan and you are set.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Pennyduke - 351w - Stock looking and sitting for 2 years. I would have the motor rebuilt before going through a complete install.

Tatersalad hit it right on the nose. The 94-97 (F-Series, Bronco) 5.0L-5.8L is a very good option for the front dress serpentine system. All of my builds use this set-up. Install this with a stock style radiator, spacer and a Rigid 17" fan and you are set.

I'm going to pull the valve covers and oil pan today. If it's in bad shape I will be doing a stroker rebuild.

rguest3, Do you have any pictures of the 94-97 (F-Series, Bronco) 5.0L-5.8L front dress in a EB?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is the Ford F-Series Serpentine installed on my 69 Bronco with a 302. It would be the same clearance as the 351w.

Just a mock-up for now, the fan is really dusty.

The Aluminum Radiator is from Toms. Stock size 3-Core thickness and 5.0l conversion. Inlet and outlet are opposite from stock. New High Flow Water pump for later 94-97 Ford. 1/2" Fan spacer and 17" Rigid fan. I will also install the Stock, original fan shroud with minor trimming for the tensioner.

Almost an inch between fan and radiator.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco - Serpentine 3.jpg
    69 Bronco - Serpentine 3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 69 Bronco - Serpentine 2.jpg
    69 Bronco - Serpentine 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 69 Bronco - Serpentine 1.jpg
    69 Bronco - Serpentine 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Thanks for the pic's rguest3. That looks like something I could live with.

I spent yesterday cleaning the grime off the motor and pulled one valve cover. It looked a little crusty in there. I'm going to pull the oil pan today and look a little deeper. I have a feeling that I may go with plan B, The 408 stroker...

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Thanks for the links. I think this motor was already setup for the 302 brackets. Do these look right? It has the passenger side water pump outlet too.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
This is the Oil pickup tube that came with my new rear sump pan kit. The opening is way smaller than the original pickup screen for the 351w front sump. So should I cut out the metal in front of the new screen or just leave it alone? It doesn't look right to me.

The bottom end of this motor looks a lot cleaner than the top end.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19