• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to Me Nineteen Seventy

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Really glad to see you are using the 70. I killed me when it would sit in my garage for months without being driven. I just didnt have the time. She was a great cruiser!

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Really glad to see you are using the 70. I killed me when it would sit in my garage for months without being driven. I just didnt have the time. She was a great cruiser!
I drive it at least a few times a week. Out of all of them I think I drive it the most honestly.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ive been super swamped with work the past 2 weeks which is why I missed super cel this year. These weeks take their toll on me so after I delivered my final files yesterday I decided to take the 70 out for a much needed cruise. I ended riding through the country quite a ways and when I finally decided to turn around I was over an hour from home. It was a long ride but it sure was a much needed one.

Here's some pics for y'all's enjoyment. View attachment 902060 View attachment 902061 View attachment 902062 View attachment 902063 View attachment 902064 View attachment 902059

Sux that you missed Super cel. but looks like you was enjoying yourself. Great shots as always love it

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Had to ask but what does green bug stand for? Do you have a 61 beetle?
When I first got my license my dad bought me a $500 61 beetle. green61bug has been my name/handle on just about every forum I've joined since then. I still have the remnants of that beetle but it probably won't ever see the road again. I do still have a 1963 beetle but over the years I've grown more fond of the more practical VW bus and I still have a 1960 bus.

romegadave

Wow that's wonderful. I used to have 59 panel. Was sad to see it go but was on hard times in the 90s (still am lol) I have a 70 bug but lord does it need some loving
will have to wait since i just ordered front disc brakes for the bronco--cheers to you

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Wow that's wonderful. I used to have 59 panel. Was sad to see it go but was on hard times in the 90s (still am lol) I have a 70 bug but lord does it need some loving
will have to wait since i just ordered front disc brakes for the bronco--cheers to you
My 60 is a panel but was an early camper conversion so the camper kit came with windows. My buddy is getting ready to sell his really awesome 59 panel on bring a trailer. I've been telling myself I don't need it. It is tempting but also very pricey. Pass_Front_3_4.jpg

romegadave

man of man that is so cool. Love the fact the original detailing. They are a hoot to drive too. What am i missing? I thought that year model had the pointy signal lights on the front?

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
man of man that is so cool. Love the fact the original detailing. They are a hoot to drive too. What am i missing? I thought that year model had the pointy signal lights on the front?
It's a European model which means no front signals, if you look at the B pillar closely you can see it has semaphores. Also European buses didn't have bumper overriders.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Well I forgot to take any pics other than one but I finally made the decision to do some upgrades and maintenance to the 70. Actually I decided to have SurferB do the work as I have been crunched for time over the past few months and have lots of normal life stuff to catch up on. I made the round trip out to Cleveland yesterday to drop it off. The majority of parts were already sitting there waiting on it. It's going to be weird not seeing it in the garage for a month or so.

Brandy is going to install an AX15 and twin sticks from Wild Horses. I'm excited to see how the 5 speed makes a difference. I also got power front discs for it which is definitely a nice upgrade. This is my first wild horses kit so Ill be interested to hear Brandy's thoughts on the install. He is also going to reinstall single exhaust and stock manifolds as well as reseal the motor and transfer case. I think rear wheel bearings would be a good call too.

I'd love to do the work myself but unfortunately I knew if I started the project it'd be next year before I got close to finishing it. Sometimes you just gotta decide to spend a little more to enjoy the ride sooner. IMG_0340.jpeg I trust Brandy to knock it out and do things nicely and correct. Super pumped and can't wait to get it back.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Very nice! What does @surfer-b schedule look like after your truck? :)

My new-to-me '69 has a ax15 and it's awesome. Ask him to bend the shifter back as far as possible. Right now it feels like 5th gear is up by the front passenger side tire.....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
That should be cool to see how it performs with those mods. At least you already have the 4.10 gears so you should be ok with the 5 speed. It will make a nice cruiser.

You didnt like the duals on it? LOL it was loud, louder than I wanted when I had it done. Dont blame you for going back to a single exhaust. I always wanted to put the stock manifolds back on it. She is a solid one I do miss it at times!

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
That should be cool to see how it performs with those mods. At least you already have the 4.10 gears so you should be ok with the 5 speed. It will make a nice cruiser.

You didnt like the duals on it? LOL it was loud, louder than I wanted when I had it done. Dont blame you for going back to a single exhaust. I always wanted to put the stock manifolds back on it. She is a solid one I do miss it at times!
I think its gonna be perfect with the 4.10 gearing and 33s. Really excited to see/feel the difference.

I actually came to like the duals but it is loud for sure. I think using the same muffler and just doing one with quiet down just enough. It's just so hard to hear going down the road at 60-70 mph. haha

I know you miss it but I sure glad you sold it to me. Haha. It has become a favorite of mine. I also scored a nice top with all the sport trim for it that will be going back on for the winter.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm tuning in Jesse! Can't wait to see her in her new era of glory!!

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Ive decided to take it one step further and add a/c to the 70. Its been so hot around here that I feel bad making the dog ride around without it so I decided to bite the bullet and order a kit. I went with the v belt set up because I just like the way it looks as opposed to converting to the serpentine setup.

I went with these pulleys: https://www.cvfracing.com/stealth-b...v_zdj3Yb99Tuk6Mc5qNjCczUmlAuhthRoC1iUQAvD_BwE

And this A/C kit: https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/cap-800-ac-system

Hopefully the install goes easy for Brandy and there aren't any hiccups. Originally I was gonna drive the bronco out to Super Cel west but I think plans are changing and the new goal is to make it to Dennis' show in Heflin Alabama...

I haven't done too much to the 70 but change the oil. I've been out driving it and enjoying it around town and to and from work a couple of times. We've had some great weather the past few days so I decided to take it up to my folks to press the bushing out and in on some leafs for the 75. Its about 60 miles each way and is a great drive. The bronco performed awesome. It really is a nice driving bronco. Even with the drum brakes it stops pretty darn good but I still think I'd like to change to power front discs. Here's some photos I took while out and about. View attachment 896553 View attachment 896554 View attachment 896556 View attachment 896557 View attachment 896558 View attachment 896559 View attachment 896560 View attachment 896561 View attachment 896562
What a terrific Bronco! I can tell you are a very proud of it--as you should be! It is stunning!
I've passed through Walnut Cove, NC numerous times and have never seen the "SALES LINCOLN FORD FORDSON SERVICE" sign. The very first photo you posted: Is that Sauratown Mountain or Hanging Rock in the background?