• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Years weekend project

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
I bought my Bronco with a soft top on it, but just happened to have a hardtop laying around in my garage...lol. Anyway, I got the top painted last summer and put it back in the garage because I enjoyed driving the truck topless. Now that it's winter.....FL winter anyway, with temps as low as the 50's....terrible isn't it? I decided to put the top on. I've been wanting a lift system for it and have viewed all the different posts on the subject and finally decided on my own setup.

I purchased the Racor overhead storage system from Amazon for $123. I then purchased 2 6' pieces of 1" square steel tube and a 4x4 1/2" sheet of plywwod from Home Depot. I used the tubes and plywood for a platform to hang from the Racor cables and then used a couple of nylon straps to hang the top. In all I have just over $200 in the setup and it works great! I installed the top on New Years day and it was an easy task with the lift. I don't know what took me so long to getting around to it, but my wife says it's called procrastination. What do you guys think?;D

Oh yeah, I think it's been over 10 years since the bronco has sported a hardtop.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 191
  • broncogarage1.jpg
    broncogarage1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 159
  • broncogarage2.jpg
    broncogarage2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 166
  • broncotop.jpg
    broncotop.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 142

Stockbroker5

I like it!
I also been contemplating doing something very similar. On mine I'll need a track to slide it into a side area of my garage so it's out of the way, but slide it on the track to drop it on the bronco. Also my cieling is only 8 foot high not 12 like yours so if it's on the middle it's a hazard in the workbench area.

Thanks for validating my inspiration. Not enough posts on here about hard top storage. Seems like people must let them rot in the elements.

OP
OP
adl3026

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
Thank you! My ceiling is 10' and I have purchased shorter straps to raise the top higher for storage purposes next time I take it off. I'm also going to add a couple of cables during storage for an extra precaution. I don't want the top falling on the truck.....lol

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looks great man Nice set up there and Not that expensive. Bronco looks great too :)

OP
OP
adl3026

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
No I don't think the hoist would release. It seems pretty solid and has a locking mechanism, however, I would rather err on the side of caution.

dmplatt

adl3026 - is the plywood/tube frame necessary or could you just attach the straps to the cables with carabiners (or something of the sort)?