• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbee Question Cut Or Not To Cut

allennella

Loc.
Franklin, Tennessee
Hard decision, I left mine uncut. It’s mostly a weekend driver. I did play in the mud a little bit at the Free-4-All a couple a weeks ago. I would have hit some of the mild trials if I had bumpers on it.

DSCA3168.jpg
DSCA3170.jpg

Broncogirlie

Loc.
BC CANADA!!!
I don't see what the big deal is to have the BIGGEST TIRES OUT THERE. I like 'em when they're a little over stock but still look nice under the truck because they still fit. Plus, the bigger the tires the bigger the axles....ect.ect.....I'd go with 35/36s if you can under uncuts. Thats all you need.

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
Thanks for the advice. I am still going to go with 40's. I am not looking to get the biggest tires out there, it is just what I want. I will be changing out the axles to accomodate what I want, it is what I was planning on doing. I am just trying to figure out why I would want to leave it uncut??? I am new to the EB's and will be working on the project over the next few years.

Jen

D-cannon

Loc.
Richmond, VA
I would never cut a 1st year roadster... that is a vehicle that you restore to stock.
If you are even thinking about cutting, that shows you are looking to do a lot to a vehicle. You should start with an already cut 302 Bronco and go from there. I bet you would be happier in the end and someone looking for an uncut would be very happy with yours.
I think my uncut with a 2" lift and 30's looks classic. But the cut Broncos with lifts and big tires look TUFF. Anyone interested in a clean uncut 1972 200ci?

Broncogirlie

Loc.
BC CANADA!!!
I would never cut a 1st year roadster... that is a vehicle that you restore to stock.
If you are even thinking about cutting, that shows you are looking to do a lot to a vehicle. You should start with an already cut 302 Bronco and go from there. I bet you would be happier in the end and someone looking for an uncut would be very happy with yours.
I think my uncut with a 2" lift and 30's looks classic. But the cut Broncos with lifts and big tires look TUFF. Anyone interested in a clean uncut 1972 200ci
?

That sums it up exactly. I agree 100%...What kindof shape is your roadster in?! My '69 has cut rear fenders and flares...maybe we should talk trades?

D-cannon...I'm interested. PM me.

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
Keep it uncut, of course. You can run 31x10.5 tires with a 2.5" lift but it
will rub when you wheel it (it is just annoying). A 3.5" lift is better and a
3.5" lift and a 1" body lift is better still (that is what I have and it works great). Any one of these combinations look great.

Andrew

ESPEEDY said:
I am the proud new owner of a un cut 66 roaster, and thought the cut rear fenders was a factory option. I am planning a lift kit only cuz it looks good, however the bronco is not going to see any heavy off roading and I would like to put some reasonable tires and wheels on it and not cut the fenders. I would like to put some 31's. Should i use a 21/2 or31/2 lift kit. She has a 200 6 cylinder(she's a cruzer not a bruzer) in and I have ordered a new floor shift from the grave yard. Any info would help and sorry for the such a stupid question. Thank you in advance
Remember, pedal to the metal untill you see GOD, then back it off just a bit! ;D

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
Thank you guys for giving me your opinions. D-cannon thanks for giving me both sides of the fence anwsers. I am planning on doing a lot to and with my Bronco so that is why I was wondering about cutting it. Believe me nobody would want my "flintstone mobile" as it is rusted out pretty good. Some cutting is necessary for the restoration as it is. I was originally planning on cutting my fenders until I read this. Now I guess I have a decision to make.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT!

Jen

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
CallmeGoof said:
Thank you guys for giving me your opinions. D-cannon thanks for giving me both sides of the fence anwsers. I am planning on doing a lot to and with my Bronco so that is why I was wondering about cutting it. Believe me nobody would want my "flintstone mobile" as it is rusted out pretty good. Some cutting is necessary for the restoration as it is. I was originally planning on cutting my fenders until I read this. Now I guess I have a decision to make.

Jen
A lot of the replies above are in regards to the original question regarding cutting the quarters on an original 1966 Roadster (Factory soft top) which is a rare find. There are many of us that would restore one to original condition even if it means replacing most of the sheetmetal. From what I can tell yours is not an original roadster so the answer will be different. Many of us would still prefer to see it left alone since uncut EB's are becoming rare. There simply isn't any reasonable way though to put 40" tires under an uncut EB though and that is all there is to it. Doing so would make it dangerous either way you do it. One way would be to try to tuck them up under the wheel wells which would make it unstable because it would be too narrow. The other is to put perhaps 15" of lift on it which would also make it unstable. If you cut it then you "might" be able to get by with just a 5 1/2" suspension lift. Most of them you will find though with 40" tires under them will have the quarters and fenders cut clear up to the bodyline "and" will have at least 5 1/2" of suspension lift plus a 3" body lift. Even with all of this you need to cut the rear tubs and rework them to keep the tires from hitting if you have a decent amount of flex. Even with my 37" tires and all of these (Extreme cutouts and 8 1/2" of lift) I still need to cut the rear tubs and extend them to stop them from hitting when they flex which I'll be doing within the next month or two.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
CallmeGoof said:

Jen

If you're hell bent on having 40's, you're in for a LOT of work. Short of the sky high show truck suspension and crap subframe (which is dangerous and stupid, not able to be driven on the road safely) you're in for some major modifications to your rig.

You're gonna have to get REALLY friendly with the sawzall. Narrow the rear, cut the fenders, narrow the front, ditch the inner clip. This is all assuming that you use some full width 60's or Mog axles (~65" WMS-WMS). Go wider than that, and you're too wide for many of the trails. (I'm keeping mine narrow, and adding a few inches of wheelbase)

The idea behind a rockcrawler is to keep the rubber side down at all costs, this means keeping it as low as possible so it doesn't tip over whenever you get twisted up on the trails. I'm going to 37-38" tires with only 2-1/2" suspension and 2" body lifts (I have LOTS of body mods, and MORE to come). If I could figure out a way, I'd make it even lower, but until I can swing some coilovers and 4 link front and rear, this is gonna have to do.

ESPEEDY - Don't cut it. Stockers are cool.

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
Coil overs and a 4 link is in the agenda on mine as well. More costly, but I do not think I will be happy with anything else. The input from everyone on here is great. My hubby has a 95 Bronco and has been helping me out with some ideas, he also pointed out that everyone may think I am talking about a roadster. I am not and I apologize. Orginally, I got the idea for this on an episode of Trucks. I bought the half cab on ebay after that. This is a project vehicle that will take a lot of work to restore. I think I have to figure out if I want to modify more than restore. If I modify it then it would be a lot of cutting of the body. Which is what I was originally intending on doing until I read this. Now I have to think it over again.

Thanks Again!

Jen

OP
OP
E

ESPEEDY

Loc.
ALBUQUERQUE
Thanks for all the great input, this little 66' has "0" rust except for the floor pans. But as far as restoring it to "Factory" condition, sorry. With all the you have given me I will keep the uncut look and go to a 2 1/2 lift. The stock wheels and tires look just to weenie for my taste. I do believe in the "keep it simple stupid system" so other than the lift it (and the new floor shifter)will be kept stock. I build old style hotrods for a living and have a shop that could turn out anything my heart desires but simple is cool, I will keep the 6 cylinder because she's a cruzer not a bruzer. I own a WAR WAGON 84' suburban if I want to tear things up. Its been a honor to discuss this with you guys.

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
Since reading this thread, I feel compelled to chime in here; why? I just went through this. I cut my 76 Bronco 3 weeks ago. Ya it looked good and original and people wanted me to keep it that way, but it was mine and I dove it for 3 years that way. What way? A 2 1/2 lift and a 1 inch body lift, at least I think it was. The suspension was put on by the PO to fit 31x10.50's underneath it and it was make shift. The rear tires stuck out a bit from the fenders and I had about 1 1/2 inches between tire and fender. If I flexed it in a bad way, I would have wrinkled the "Uncut" fender. I stuck to the road and light off road only because of this. So I cut them. Had the flares painted to match the burnt orange color of my Bronco and stuck 32x11.50's on my 8 inch rims. Lots of room now and it looks good. Do I miss the uncut look? Not as much as my buddy's do. But there's are cut too.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
33x9.50's will tuck under the rear fenders with no problem. There's a guy in Houston that wheels the hell out of his uncut like that (and he's a crackup to sit around the campfire with too) He does take the hubcaps off before hitting the trail though.

Someday I want to do a uncut. 2-1/2" suspension and 1" body on the tall skinny tires would look cool, and be fun to drive I think.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you must cut do so but at least keep the pieces you cut out of the rear quarters. With the welders available today as opposed to 30 years ago it can all be restored as long as you have the origional pieces to weld back in.
On an origional 66 roadster I'd hate to see one go under the knife since all of the other systems are compromised too. better to get a later model with dana 44 and better driveshafts and even better brakes. As for the 40 inch tire crowd it would be easier to get a 78-79 Bronco and stretch a early Bronco body to fit that frame. You'll at least get a better drivetrain, steering and suspension more suitable to the 40 inch tires. At least you will be out wheeling 2 years sooner.

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
I have a 73 uncut lifted 3.5" and just put on some 31's...I'll post some pics of it soon. By the way I was in BigBear this last weekend and I went everwhere the lifted and cut rigs went.. ;D

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
I say do what ever makes you feel good. If you want to use your bronco off road, then get out yer saw and slap on some flares. I had a very nice uncut 74, now I have a very nice CUT 74 that I can actually use off road. (it is still my daily driver, though)

I think it is funny that everyone that says don't cut has a cut, modified bronco. If the one you have is a good starting point, then do what ever makes you happy. The truth is, if you really wanted to restore it to original someday, you would more than likely swap in new sheet metal on all four corners anyway. Rear quarters are actually cheaper than fender flares!!! Of course the labor to put them in may get pretty expensive, but what the heck, You really cannot be a penny pincher and own an eb.

Just my two cents.... but I cut mine, after much concernation, and I could not be happier to have the truck I want that can do what I want it to.

BTW, you can fit 31s with 2 1/2 lift no problem with stock wheels.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Uncut can wheel.. (not extreme but they will do nicely)

Attachments

• roundup3.jpg
    roundup3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 34