• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie help selling my mustang for a Bronco

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
Hey guys,
This is my first post, but I am a long time Bronco lover. When I was a kid about 12 years old my Uncle took me under his wing while I was living in Colorado. This was right after my parents divorce and I was pretty messed up about the whole thing. Anyhow my Uncle had a 1976 Bronco and he would take me up in the Mountains every weekend and we went 4 wheeling. It was always my job to lock the hubs. It was the first truck I ever learned how to drive and work on. This time with my uncle and his Bronco made everything better at that time. Fast forward 6 years and my uncle has passed away. I told my Aunt that if she sold the Bronco I'd like to buy it from her. Needless to say she did not remember me saying this and she sold it locally to a friend she knew. Now I have word from her that it might be up for sale again. And it would be really great to get this Bronco.
For about the last 8 years I have put my blood, sweat and tears into restoring and enjoying a 69 Mustang Fastback. I would have sell this car to fund the Bronco. Which I think at this point in my life would be good. I have a wife and two kids and I can not take them all out in the mustang. I must have shoulder belts in the rear seat for both the little ones and their booster seats. Not to mention I would get much more use out of the Bronco. I can drive it in the winter, rain, camping, utility, and not have to worry so much about little scratches and dings. I still want a nice truck, but not a show car like my mustang if you know what I mean.
So my main questions are is it possible to have rear shoulder belts in a Bronco for the kids? From my research I think you can if you have a family type roll cage to mount the shoulder harness. Also if I can't get my Uncle's old Bronco I am still planning on selling the mustang for a classic first generation Bronco. Can anyone tell me what to look for on these old trucks that are typical problem areas. I am very familiar with rust since I had to replace about 85% of my mustangs sheet metal. And I suspect old Broncos have their common issues. Just want to be sure to know what to look for. Well sorry this was so long. I look forward being a part of the Bronco Community in the near future. If all works out for me I'll be sure to return and post pictures.
Thanks..

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
It sounds like you've thought the whole thing through pretty thoroughly, you know what you want and what is best for you right now. I know exactly what you mean about wanting your uncle's Bronco; if I could find my Dad's '65 F250 (that I learned to drive in) I would try to buy it back in a heartbeat in whatever condition it may be in.

As far as what to look for in a Bronco, that topic has been covered here quite a bit and you probably know better than most about rust. It's always better to buy a truck with little to no rust and a shot drivetrain. That said, it's hard to find a Bronco without at least some rust in the floor. Different parts of the country have different rot/rust issues. Where are you located?

There are members here from all over the country, many of whom are very knowledgeable and friendly and would probably be willing to go along on a Bronco shopping excursion to help check one out.

You've made the best first step possible in becoming a member here, pull up a chair and stay a while.

OP
OP
ariff390

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
Hey PS thanks for the reply. I am in Lawrence Kansas. There are a few Broncos around here I have found on craigslist, but I need to sell the mustang first. I may have a buyer lined up, we'll see if it works out. Here is the main one I have my eye on now..
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1125386731.html
First on the list though is my Uncle's old one ;D
I am not scared of rust I have a welder and all the tools to get rid of it. However the time to do it is the problem. So I am looking for one that is in pretty decent shape. Replacing some floor pans and what not no problem. Now frame and other things like rockers and door posts. I am going to try and stay away from.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Make sure you are gonna be happy getting rid of the Mustang. I don't miss mine, love my Bronco more, but I also know there is another Mustang in my future. I've heard enough stories about the "one I wish I had never sold" to say make sure and think it through.

That being said, Kansas should have pretty much rust free rigs. If you've restored a Mustang, the Bronco should be pretty easy. They can be made fairly dependable (as much as the Mustang). Almost anything that applied to the Mustang can go to an EB (fuel injection, power steering and brakes, etc...). Look for one that already has the Dana 44 front end, steer away from the dana 30, unless you want to swap one in. The later 70's models are more preferable in stock because they already have power steering and power brakes, although its pretty easy to add these later. I prefer the V8 over the inline 6, but there is nothing wrong with the 6. It's just a little underpowered on the highway.

Good luck and how 'bout some pics of the Mustang? I've always been a fool for a 69/70 fastback.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I had a 70 Bronco that I missed after selling. I now have both a 70 and a 75 that I am working on.But I won't sell my fastback.

OP
OP
ariff390

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
Thanks again for all the info. I have been thinking about this for a few years, so it is not a decision I have not thought through pretty good. I just really feel I'll get so much more use out of the Bronco. Also I have not heard yet from anyone if Rear shoulder belts can be added in the EB's if I get a roll cage? Any suggestions on that. I did not find much in my searching.
Here are some pics of my Mustang..

sidecolor.jpg

sidebw.jpg

Picture2.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the board ariff390. That's one NICE Stang you got there :)

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Thanx for the Pics, that is one SWEET 69. 390 car no less. The 390 was never appreciated for what it was. Better truck engine, but no slouch in a car. I have a S-code 390 in a 66 Galaxie 500 waiting on me to get to work. Love your car. What do you think it's worth in this econcomy? I hope you don't loose money selling it, I know prices are down.

You sure can put shoulder belts on a family cage. You may have to get a little creative, but I'm sure I've seen it done on here somewhere, and I would imagine the vendors probably sell parts to do it. I would check Wild Horses first.

Once again, nice 'Stang.

OP
OP
ariff390

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
Hey mustangtoby thanks for the comments. Yeah the drivetrain in this mustang actually came from a 67 Galaxie 500. It was originally a 351\FMX car. So it is not an original 390 car. I am not sure what I'll get for it. I'd like to get $15k. But with the economy the way it is I might not. If I could find a EB guy out there that wanted to trade that would be cool as well.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
$15K

Dood... In NM, a shell of a 67/68 Fastback pulls $10K. I'd hope you'd get MUCH more then that for that fine piece of machinery... $30K + would the ball park range for this area.

I don't know where you're at. But, I'd sell my left nut for $15K to have that car. Would be a bad ass addition to my collection of blue ovals.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I had a 70 Bronco that I missed after selling. I now have both a 70 and a 75 that I am working on.But I won't sell my fastback.

I wanna see this fastback... I found a 67 Fastback shell in a field a while back. Haven't had the balls to approach the owner to see how much he'd want for it. I'm afraid, I'd sacrifice something to buy it. LOL!!!

My love for Mustangs is 2nd only to my love for Early Broncos. That being said... I've had 9 Broncos and only 1 Mustang. And, it wasn't even a cool mustang... LOL!!!

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
HOLY GORGEOUS MUSTANG BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

Dude......sell your WIFES car to fund the Bronco......;)

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

By the way........don't listen to me......I'm usually stirrin' the pot, and never really have anything constructive to say!!
However, if you're looking for some negativity....just hit me up!

$30K + would the ball park range for this area.
Agreed!!! that car would pull a much higher price 'round these parts.....

Last edited:

grabbermach

I know how you feel about the mustang, I have owned my 70 Mach1 since 1984 and put lots of blood, sweat and tears into restoring it. The big problem is that I seldom get to get it out and drive it for fear of getting it scratched, etc. It is a 351c 4v 4 speed car and just isn't fun to drive in traffic here in Springfield, and I don't think it would be to much fun to take on a longer trip either. That being said, I will never sell it, as it is very much a part of me and reminds me of the good times of my youth with my friends. Oh the stories it could tell.

If you don't have that kind of connection with your mustang, then I say sell it and buy your Uncle's bronco. Otherwise keep the Mustang (it's long term value should be much greater then the bronco) and buy yourself a rougher bronco to build the way you want.

Note: My little brother lives in Lawerance, KS he has a Champaign Gold 69 mustang GT fastback. Not sure if you have seen it our not, as he seldom has a chance to get it out.

OP
OP
ariff390

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
grabbermach.. man I have never seen your brothers 69. I sometimes feel like I am the only one around Lawrence with one. Since I never see them. The reason I got this mustang was to fix it up. I wanted to teach myself how to work on\restore cars. So that one day I could do this with my son. Like I always wanted my Dad to do with me. He just never had the time. Now that it is pretty much done I feel like moving on. I thought my son would say no way. That was his first reaction until I showed him some pics of Broncos playing in the mud and he got all excited, said Dad lets put the mustang up on craigslist. I totally feel the same way you do about your 70. I just don't have the attachment like you do. Maybe if I had this car when I was a kid I would. Right now he is only 5 years old so who knows when he is older we might restore another mustang. But for now I need something I can get more use out of with the family. And I think the Bronco would fit that role pretty well. Sounds like I need to re-consider how much to sell this car for. I had not priced them in awhile. Looks like cars in my condition on Ebay are going for closer to 20k. Thanks Guys!

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Judging from the pics, that Stang would pull 25-30 grand before the economy went to hell. I have lost touch with pricing since I got the Bronco addiction, but I know all "toys" have came down in price. Bottom line, you should get one Hell of a Bronco for the money in comparison to that ride! Good luck!

jlp66stang

Loc.
Arkansas
Sweet ride! I am new to the eb's, but just finished restoring a 66 fastback and a 66 coupe before that. Don't get me wrong, I love my 73 eb and have only driven it around the yard with no brakes, but You will be SORRY! Cars are down right now, but that can't stay like this forever. You will leave a lot of money on the table if you sell now. Depends on how bad you want a eb. I'm thinking left nut first, I mean you got a spare!

OP
OP
ariff390

ariff390

Loc.
Lawrence
LOL! man I came here thinking you EB guys would be all for talking me into selling the Mustang and getting a EB. ;D Ughh now you are making me have second thoughts again.. Oh well I guess there is no hurry. I'll just take my time and see what happens.