• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie looking for front shock recommendations

LeSpade

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I have decided while the bronco is up on jacks(waiting on tires and wheels), that I will attempt to replace the 14 bushings and shocks. I measured and look to have a 3 inch lift and the po had James Duff shocks. I will not be doing any offroading and will be driving the bronco on the weekends. Any advice on brands of shocks?? Thanks for any input.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Many people like the rancho 9000 and if you dont mind payin the extra dough then the bilsteins 5100 have many great reviews from bronco owners.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LeSpade

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
thx for the input. I love that white and black on your bronco. That is exactly what i wanted to do with mine except for blacking out the grill. Nice ride.

360 4V

I would choose Bilsteins over Rancho. As for top of the line in quality:
Kings Fox
Bilstein
Rancho Pro Comp Monroe KYB

I have never owned James Duff shock absorbers but they are valved specifically for early Broncos so It wouldn't hurt to try them out.

Valving is hugely important.

I am leaning toward Bilstein 5100 or 7100 at the moment but I am subject to change my mind.

Get gas-charged shocks as they have greater endurance than non gas-charged shocks.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Dont forget FOX Shox. Thanks to eb66to77 I just put some on mine and am one happy guy. My wife even noticed the difference and said she didnt think it was possible for the Bronco to ride like it does now.

OP
OP
L

LeSpade

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Annapolis, Dave and 360, Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinkin that Bilsteins are out of my price range at the moment so maybe I will replace the James Duff with more James Duff. Anyone know anything about Jeff's Bronco shocks or wildhorses?

BroncoBrandon

I was running a set of Doetsch tech shocks on mine. I have the same size lift as you do and they ride pretty nice. I picked them up for $25 or $30 each from a local 4x4 shop.

I recently bought a set of Fox shocks but have not installed them yet

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I was running a set of Doetsch tech shocks on mine. I have the same size lift as you do and they ride pretty nice. I picked them up for $25 or $30 each from a local 4x4 shop.

I recently bought a set of Fox shocks but have not installed them yet

You are about to be very, very happy.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I would try the Rancho's.
From what I have found the Bilstein 5100 do not come valved correctly and will need to be revalved.

The application chart showed they were right but Bilstein said they are valved for a newer Super Duty.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
im going with doetsch shocks on my build. There cheep! Im gona run 2 shocks per tire so ill buy the MV-12's, If your running single shocks id go with the DT3000's For a beginner truck id stay away from the expensive, wallet emptying, fox or bilstiens. YOU WILL NOT BENIFIT FROM EXPENSIVE SHOCKS!!!! Dont pay more than 40 or 50 bucks per shock.

http://doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

360 4V

Isn't it mostly about proper valving and that gas charged shocks have more stamina built into the oil? The Kings, Foxs and top end Bilsteins are rebuildable. That is how race cars are. Everything on a race car is rebuildable. When I saw Thunderboars in San Diego, Ca Mission Bay two or three years ago I watched in the pits as a team dismantled an engine after it hit ~250 mph. Most of these were mountain motors, several hundred cubic inches based off the Chrysler Hemi.

Now to get back on topic, my point is to give an expample of the application of the rebuildable shockabsorbers.

Common people who are not proffessionally racing do well to buy cheap and replace often.