• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie looking for 1st Bronco

brnco_luvr

Loc.
San Diego
Hi everyone! I've been timid so far, so decided to write my first post! I'm new to CB, and want to thank everyone for teaching me about EBs. Ive been in the market for about 2 years, and patiently awaiting to pull the trigger on my first. Please excuse my ignorance about the etiquette on this site. Hoping to be able to get some help and suggestions from all the veterans out there. I've been looking at a few EBs online. Will it be appropriate to ask for specific help/input about specific rigs on this site? Thank you! Very excited!

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask away, there are some very knowledgeable people here that can answer any Bronco related questions, and most other subjects as well, lol. Though opinions may vary on some things, most just agree to disagree and move on.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome and yes ask away. The more knowledge you've got going into a deal the better off you'll be and you'll save money in the end, even if you spend a little more up front.

OP
OP
brnco_luvr

brnco_luvr

Loc.
San Diego

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Of those two, the one on CL looks like it was built by someone who enjoys broncos. The other one looks like it was put together by someone who buys, restomods whatever the hot vehicle is at the time. Automatic, power everything, and cold A/C, for almost $20k less than the classic autotrader really speaks to me lol. Not a fan of the air filter on the classic autotrader bronco either.

What exactly do you want as far as features and look? What do you want to do with it....daily driver, drive it once a month, take it shows, crawl rocks?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...Not a fan of the air filter on the classic autotrader bronco either...

Welcome future Bronco Bro. :cool: I wish I had known about this site when I was looking (quite a few years ago now). But I got lucky and found a 99% rust-free DD for a great price.

Anyway, yeah that filter I hear is not a good idea because if you have a back-fire, your engine will suck in a bunch of cooked foam... not good.

Ask away!

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Gotta agree with Okie on the two listed, and your answers to his questions may greatly affect price and availability. I've seen the aftermath of a back fire with that filter, not pretty.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
What exactly do you want as far as features and look? What do you want to do with it....daily driver, drive it once a month, take it shows, crawl rocks?

Welcome!

Yes giving us insight to what you want to use your future Bronco for will help us make the proper recommendation(s).

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Where you're located plays a part in a choice also!! I'd be hard pressed to buy an EB that I couldn't put my hands on or have a knowledgeable EB friend look at it first. The classified section on here is a good place to start and learn about features and prices...and ask questions!!
Welcome to the site and Good Luck!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
brnco_luvr

brnco_luvr

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks everyone!!! I was especially touched being called a Bronco Bro!!! (thanks BronCowie)
I really appreciate the feedback.
My dream Bronco is an updated/restored EB (motor, drivetrain, transmission) with a hardtop, more for cruising but be a capable light off roader. Favor a more original appearance with 2-3inch lift. Solid rust-free or little rust repair, confident on the FWY up to 65mph. 302 or better motor. Nice paint, any color except all black. More of a rig to take to my local fan club but not show quality. Love to show some age and character. I'm not much of a mechanic beside simple stuff and don't have a garage set up for doing my own modifications/repairs, although hoping to get there eventually as I learn more (and convince my wife!)
I feel like I'm describing what everyone is looking for in an EB!
I'm in San Diego, but willing to consider a remote purchase.

Out of curiosity, is the air filter issue on the autotrader one a simple fix?

Thank you all again.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I'm in San Diego, but willing to consider a remote purchase.

Out of curiosity, is the air filter issue on the autotrader one a simple fix?

Thank you all again.

Yep the air filter is an easy fix... however IMHO any Bronco in that price range should have fuel injection. I would just steer clear of auto trader or cars dot com as that's usually where you find the "classic car dealer" aka flippers as okie alluded to. You'll also notice those engine bay pics were very carefully taken...either that or the photographer was 4'10" ;D I see lots of brake fluid ?:?

Also be extremely careful with the 'remote purchase'... in fact DON'T do that. If you are really interested in something in that price range then it's at least worth a plane ticket to check it out in person. And as mentioned you're off to a good start because you found the best EB site on the web!!

Last edited:

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
The Bronco on Autotrader presents well(if thats what you're into) but it could have underlying issues... Like 1stRodeo said, lots of brake fluid on the master which means something is going on or that someone didn't know what they were doing.

I personally like the one on CL more but would have to see it in person for that kind of money.

Just be very weary and skeptical is the best advice I think. These trucks were cheap 10 years ago and many are rusted out. With prices where they are today there are plenty pf people throwing them together but not correctly just to make a quick pay day. Very good idea to lay eyes on the bronco or have a trusted member here lay eyes on it and photograph it for yourself and everyone to see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.37.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.37.08 AM.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 45

elan

Loc.
s
brnco luvr, I'm located in San Diego County and a little advice. Read everything these guys offer up and please take your time. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the excitement and make a mistake. In the end it boils down to dollars and sense.

rhino2104

Welcome. There are plenty of good options in that price range available. A few in the classified section.

OP
OP
brnco_luvr

brnco_luvr

Loc.
San Diego
Thank you everyone for your input and especially for the great advice.
Definitely would not buy one without seeing it myself.
Planning on checking out the CL one this week. The owner is also a very nice gentleman and has been very informative. Have a bunch more pix of the rig. Will upload them for additional comments and feedback.

I am grateful to be a part of the CB community.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Welcome aboard!
I would say if you're going to look at the CL one - take a set of coveralls and a flashlight and a mirror and a magnet. Be prepared to budget some time to crawl around underneath and just have a real good look at everything, try and be systematic about it. The PO (previous owner) should have no problem with you doing that. If he does, that's not a good sign.

Remember all these Broncos are old, so things may have gotten tired over the years. Fortunately they are pretty simple trucks, which is all part of the charm.

The bottom coil spring cup on the passenger side looks a little bit squashed to me - not a big deal, and a easy fix, but just as an example.

Good luck!