• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie. need help!!

71Rig

So i did a search for my problem and found a guy that had the same problem, but I am in a bit of a different situation: Here was the problem he had which is the same as mine:

"I stopped at the post office and left it idling for about 15 minutes and another stop at a store for about 5. When I got a few blocks from the store, it started dying. I was able to coast into a bank parking lot where I then went through a similar routine as before. It finally started and when it did, it acted like nothing was wrong. Just turned the key and voila, running good. I started home and about halfway there, it started dying again. I took it out of gear, played with the gas and got it running again. I then drove another mile or so and it did the same thing so i just parked it."

This is pretty much the exact problem that I had. I drove the car 5 hours down to school and everything was fine except one startup problem, but the car ended up starting up fine in the end. but when i got to my apartment i left the car idling because i was worried it wouldnt start up and when i came back outside after like 10 min. i tried to drive away and it would idle a little and then drop dramatically while idling from like 1000 to 500 and i had to put gas into it to keep it up. When iw as driving it to the garage to park it it would idle fine some of the time and then drop almost to 0. I guess it was overheating or something, but i have no idea.

The difference between me and the guy before is he knows some stuff about cars and i know almost nothing. I have the car at school so its not like i have a garage to work at although there are plenty of places that could fix it here, athough i'm on a limited budget. Let me know what you guys think the problem is beacuse i dont want to start it up again and drive it a little and then die. Thanks! -Adam

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might also be flooding there could be some dirt in the carb causing it to flood every once in a while. Does it have a strong gas smell when it does this? Your very brave I wouldnt leave my bronco running anywhere for any amount of time unless I was in it or standing next to it.

OP
OP

71Rig

How do you check the fuel filter, what does it look like, and how do i know if its bad?

This is just so weird because its never happened before and ive had the car for a while, and this is the first time i let it idle for a while. I guess maybe the fuel filter got messed up because of the long 5 hour drive.

Dan76

Well you can try blowing through it, it should be totally free to blow through. Or you can spend the 3$? And buy one :p

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
How do you check the fuel filter, what does it look like, and how do i know if its bad?

This is just so weird because its never happened before and ive had the car for a while, and this is the first time i let it idle for a while. I guess maybe the fuel filter got messed up because of the long 5 hour drive.

The first time you run the tank low or out you will suck the sediment into the line and enough will clog the filter from the tank (if this is the case). They are usually on the frame rail between the tank and the pump and//or between the pump and the carb. It would be worth it to replace it if its not clear, likely needs a change. They are cheap. Take a look at the one you have and replace it.

OP
OP

71Rig

i never really let the tank go below 1/4 so i dont think thats the problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Fuel filter is usaully located on the carb its screwed into the carb and the fuel line is connected to it. I dont remember any other location for a stock bronco but its worth crawling under to see if any of the PO's installed one between the tank and fuel pump.
Just get a new filter they are cheap and since your not sure about what it even looks like I'm sure its time to replace it even if its not plugged.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could it be the diaphram(power valve) in the carb? If I remember that was what was wrong with my old '76 a few years back?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
If the problem becomes frequent, it could be the Duraspark module (electronic ignition module) going out. Had that problem many years ago...It was an intermittent problem. It would just die or die briefly and then come back on. Then a few minutes later restart...usually it would 'die' at or near idle or after coming off acceleration. It finally gave up the ghost as I was 4.5hrs from home pulling off I-65 north of Nashville. At teh time, I had no electrically related parts or clues; a tech at an independant gas station, ran a few checks with a test light, and traced it to the module, in went a new module and off I went. Check all your electrical connections as well. If you install a new one, use some electrical grease to prevent moisture from getting in the plugs. HTH.

Most likely, your problem is fuel related as others have mentioned, but if it all checks out...look into your electrical system.