• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie........need help!!

rutwad

First post here.

Already looking for help ;D

I have been looking for a jeep, sami, or something similiar for off-roading. Well, I found a bronco and have no idea what it may be worth. Any, ANY help is appreciated.

It is a '67 sitting under a carport. I looked at the frame and all around the body. NO RUST! Paint is fair at best, evenly faded/dull and some chips. Body is straight. It did not have any top on it when I saw it, but he says he has a new soft top for it. Engine is 351W bored .030 w/ mild cam. Tranny is 4 spd. manual in floor (could have been 3 spd.- not sure) Transfer case, tranny, and engine all fresh rebuild with less than 4k miles! Electronic ignition, (if I remember correctly, it has a 2 barrel carb.), power steering, power brakes, disc brake conversion. Rear tube bumper (smittybuilt?), and front aftermarket bar (not sure what it is called, but it's the one sloped up about 45 degrees in the center-sticking out a foot or so) and new warn winch. not sure what size winch, but he says it has only been used once, that was just to let the cable out, and reroll it! Tires are worn 33's I believe. Does not appear to be lifted. Truck is sitting on concrete, there is NO oil anywhere under it. Runs great, have not had a chance to go back and drive yet. Appears to just need some TLC. What do you guys think.. any rough ideas? ?:?

Thanks in advance :) :) :) :)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a pretty good deal depending on price and location. The front bumper sounds like a pre-runner style. Do you have any pics? But just a rough guess from me sounds like around $6K. Oh and btw welcome to the site and forget about those other 4x4's ;D

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
rutwad said:
First post here.

Already looking for help ;D

I have been looking for a jeep, sami, or something similiar for off-roading. Well, I found a bronco and have no idea what it may be worth. Any, ANY help is appreciated.

It is a '67 sitting under a carport. I looked at the frame and all around the body. NO RUST! Paint is fair at best, evenly faded/dull and some chips. Body is straight. It did not have any top on it when I saw it, but he says he has a new soft top for it. Engine is 351W bored .030 w/ mild cam. Tranny is 4 spd. manual in floor (could have been 3 spd.- not sure) Transfer case, tranny, and engine all fresh rebuild with less than 4k miles! Electronic ignition, (if I remember correctly, it has a 2 barrel carb.), power steering, power brakes, disc brake conversion. Rear tube bumper (smittybuilt?), and front aftermarket bar (not sure what it is called, but it's the one sloped up about 45 degrees in the center-sticking out a foot or so) and new warn winch. not sure what size winch, but he says it has only been used once, that was just to let the cable out, and reroll it! Tires are worn 33's I believe. Does not appear to be lifted. Truck is sitting on concrete, there is NO oil anywhere under it. Runs great, have not had a chance to go back and drive yet. Appears to just need some TLC. What do you guys think.. any rough ideas? ?:?

Thanks in advance :) :) :) :)

Sounds like a nice truck. Looks can be deceiving though. What does he want for it? Why is he selling it? You'd have to take her for a spin and get a feel for it. You've come to the right site anyhow. Quite a bit of Bronco proffessionals here. If you're real serious about buying it, I'd take some pictures of it and post them here. You would get a better guestimate of how much it's really worth.. If the guy wanted to sell it bad enough, he could make the exterior look tight but who know what's under. Look over thoroughly. Good luck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds good. But whats does he want for it? and how much are you looking to spend? I'd also say about $6K would be a good price from the description. But Less is always better in my book

OP
OP
R

rutwad

I work with his neighbor. He by chance mentioned to me that his neighbor had this awesome off-road machine and I was actually looiking for one. We dropped by to look at it. This was 6 months ago or so. He is not trying to sell it, but said he would. He has a bad back and can't really enjoy it any more.

Anyway, my wife was set on a jeep, or sammy. She said the bronco was "too big", but she had not seen it yet. So about a month ago I went back to look at it and took my wife. Still not advertised for sale, has not been driven since I last looked at it, but cranked right up. This thing sounds AWESOME!!! He's cranking it up and I have already told my wife how it sounds-good enough to buy it just to listen to it run. So while he goes to crank it, I'm excited-telling my wife

"you gotta hear this, just listen, sshhh, listen, keep listing...........WOW!!! there it is.... doesn't that sound great".

Anyway, when I can finally take my eyes of her (the bronco), I turn to my wife who now has this awe-struck almost confused ?:? look on her face. She says

"too loud".

WOMEN!!!

About the price, on my first visit he told me $4500, second visit $4000.
Wife has to be happy, so I kept looking for a jeep, sammy. But I tell her if we find a jeep around this price it's likely to have 100k miles or so. Then who knows, the motor could lock up on the way home. That's more unbudgeted money! I feel comfortable that this motor will last as long as I take care of it.

Also, if we don't like it then I think we could give it a good cleaning and get our money back out of it.

70bronc

Loc.
st. peters, MO
sounds like a steal actually. the winch alone is worth some money! you gotta please your wife... so find out if you can take her for a spin... she'll be hooked.

NCBRONCOS

Loc.
Charlotte
Sounds like a steal for that price!!! ;D
If it's the way you describe it I would be all over it! Be sure to check the floor pans ,the door posts, and the rockers closely for rust.

Good luck!

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Sounds like a great price. Still pictures would help.. Check the floor boards for rust especially the drivers side. But still it sounds like a good deal.

cisco

4500 is what i paid for mine, and it doesnt sound like as good a deal as you'll likely be gettin.. id go for it.

actually, i paid 4500, took it to a 4x4 shop for a checkout and those guys said i could turnaround and sell it for 6000 if i wanted.. so it sounds like you cant go wrong.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Where did yuou say it was located??? :-X ;D

Seriously, though, sounds like a steal at $4K...take the others advice and look closely at the underside, floors, inside the fenders-toward door posts, under any carpet, etc. Even with a little rust, still sounds pretty good. Tell your wife, you are looking for an off-road machine, not a mall crawler...forget the #EEp and the Sami. The weakest link on that truck will be the Dana 30 axle....ditch (swap) it for a D44 with discs, install a power brake booster or hydroboost and you will be set. Have a good time

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you are trying to justify the price to your wife you can give her the NADA values.

Low Retail: $7400
Average Retail: $14275
High Retail: $18675

If you can buy this for $3500 to $4000 (If he dropped from $4500 to $4000 then he'll probably go at least as low as $3500) then I doubt you can get hurt on the deal even if there is a little rust to deal with as long as it is otherwise mechanically sound. It is already ahead of the game if it is equipped as you say since most of the items you listed are not stock. In 67 it would have had a 289 (I think) with a 3 speed manual tranny, manual drum brakes, and manual steering. Just the changes to those would put someone well on the way towards the cost of it. If it has these upgrades then there is also a good chance the Dana 30 frontend has been replaced with a Dana 44 which would be another big plus. If so then about the only thing you would need to do to make it a really good off road rig would be to drop EFI on top of it which isn't too difficult. (Lot's of information here to do that already)

OP
OP
R

rutwad

I feel good about it. Probably try to drive it, check for rust, etc. sometime this week. Maybe it will have a new home by the weekend.
;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
BTW, Welcome to the board. Grab some pics of it next time you see it and post them for us to see. If you decide not to get it then I'm sure a few others here are interested in looking at it.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I am surprised that no one mentioned this yet to ya. The big difference and a selling point to your wife can be this:

#1 - Wider wheel base - more stable than a sammi or J**p
#2 - More power
#3 - Higher, MUCH higher, resell value
#4 - More agile than either of her choices
#5 - All in all a better built machine as it sits than what you will get from either of the others at a similar price
#6 - If she hates it THAT bad, you can trade it for a matched pair of his & hers J**ps or Sammis later

Those are just some minor selling points. If she doesn't like how loud it is, change the mufflers on it, tone it down. It probably has glass packs on it so put some turbos on and it will have a nice low rumble.

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
as far as it being too loud, I believe you can put in some resinators, to reduce sound, and like mentioned above, change mufflers....
The Bronco is a more solid vehicle... and more stable...
Good luck and welcome....

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I agree with Sbolt...Sounds like you got a deal there and he's come down on the price already. If it runs and the body/frame is straight with no rust, it's worth more than he's asking. I'd come up with some cash and offer him a bit less. You could get a really good deal. And to please the wife, buy a new muffler. I agree that you really need to to drive it. Also explain to the wife that EVERYONE has a J^%P, not everyone is fortune enough to own a piece of history!

Let us know, because if you don't buy it, I am sure someone here will.

J.D.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
GO BUY IT AND QUIT TYPING ON THE PUTER!! I say get is as fast as you can.. You can get your $$ back in a heartbeat...even with a few minor problems $4k is a great deal.

Red Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
It is a bargain here in CA..if you don't want it tell your wife that I buy it ;D ;D ..seriously ..I think that if it is as you described is a good buy..Good luck!!! :)