• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Questions

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and Bronco's for that matter. I am looking to buy one and had some basic questions that might help steer me in the right direction.

1) Half Cabs?? Are those conversions or was that a factory option?

2) is there a better year to go with? I have heard that Mid 70's and beyond are better because of options. What options made those better?

3) Any common problems to look at when I am inspecting rigs to buy?

In high school, a buddy had a 1969 that I loved. I was thinking about buying a CJ5 or CJ7, but I have a family (wife and 2 kids) and would LOVE to take them out in it. I thought a Bronco would be more stable (safer) than a Jeep is, not to mention more room.

4) Do Broncos roll over as easy as Jeeps do (under normal driving conditions)? Obviously ANYTHING can roll over off road, but in general I'm asking..

5) How much lift is TOO MUCH!! I like the look of 35" or smaller...

6) Looking for a cut rear fender. Did they come from the factory like that or are ALL cut Bronco's done after market?

Looks like these Bronco's have a SUPER resale value and are VERY expensive compared to Jeeps of similar years and such..

Thanks in advance!!!

Jason

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
1 = factory
2 = you can make any year what ever you want....I like'em all
3 = rust -rust and more rust....
4 = depends on lifted -how high -or not
5 = 2.5---3.5 imoa is best lift range
6 = they did not come from the factory cut

welcome to the (cb.com)site and pleze vote everyday for this site top4x4 on the net!!

Last edited:

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Welcome Jason

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and Bronco's for that matter. I am looking to buy one and had some basic questions that might help steer me in the right direction.

They were factory.
Some people convert them. The VIN will Tell you if it's a halfcab, wagon, or roadster.

2) is there a better year to go with? I have heard that Mid 70's and beyond are better because of options. What options made those better?
Mid 70's is good. But the options that they have are fairly easy to add.
You'll be doing mods to get it the way you want it anyway.

Rust.
Previous owner mistakes.

In high school, a buddy had a 1969 that I loved. I was thinking about buying a CJ5 or CJ7, but I have a family (wife and 2 kids) and would LOVE to take them out in it. I thought a Bronco would be more stable (safer) than a Jeep is, not to mention more room.

4) Do Broncos roll over as easy as Jeeps do (under normal driving conditions)? Obviously ANYTHING can roll over off road, but in general I'm asking..
Pretty much as you stated.
5.5" is general rule.
6) Looking for a cut rear fender. Did they come from the factory like that or are ALL cut Bronco's done after market?
ALL cuts are done aftermarket.
Looks like these Bronco's have a SUPER resale value and are VERY expensive compared to Jeeps of similar years and such..

Thanks in advance!!!

Jason

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
2. Definitely rust. Look under and poke around to find hidden rust.

Buying from someone reputable helps. Learning everything you can on here and getting good advice (from the wise gurus on here) will save a lot of trouble from hidden problems.

Welcome!

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the madness, lol.
Could be either. There were half cabs from factory, as well as roadster and full top. Any configuration can be converted to another.
Depends on your wants, Dana 44 replaced 30 in 71, power steering and auto was factory options after 73, power brakes and disks after 76. Any of the above may have been added to earlier models however as well as aftermarket upgrades.
Rust, front floor pans, door posts, door jams, kick panels, tailgate are most common areas.
More room yes, stability and safety will depend on how it's equiped, lift, disks or drums, roll bar or cage, stock belts or harness, etc.....
This can very much depend on the driver.
More than 3.5 suspension complicates things, if you need more room sawzall or body lift.
All after they left factory, some were done by dealerships.

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
Thanks for the quick responses. For the rust!!! Is there a specific spot that is common to rust first? Any other expensive problems to look out for? Crazy to see how many Bronco's are cut in the rear. Are uncut ones worth more? Or only to purists? I think they look better cut with some mild lift and fatty tires...

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Some like cut, some uncut. My next one will be uncut. But that's just me.

Do a search on here for LUBR or LUBER

attachment.php

32466280010_large.jpg

tw322

Hey Jason,
Welcome, I am fairly new to this site myself but am on my 2nd Bronco. I had owned for about 6 years and (regretfully) sold it about 4 years ago. I just bought my 2nd this past week. The one thing I would say, besides agreeing with all of the other good advice, is to find out about smog requirements where you live. I am in Calif. and decided to buy a 75 or older because they are smog exempt while 76 and 77s still have to be smogged in this ridiculous state. Not that it isn't doable but for me jumping through the hoops and dealing with the DMV and all of the air quality entities that set the standards. It is worth checking into. Good luck! Its an addiction that rivals any other and is just as expensive.

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
Those are so bad!!!! Yep, That's the perfect size, I wouldn't want it any bigger. Are those 35"?? Also, I love the uncut look!! I guess I have never seen any lifted that are uncut. Both of those are AWESOME!!!! I would be afraid of rubbing the rear fenders on a hard bump though. I can't wait to buy one and I hope they look like those (above) do. Thanks ObscureMachine for sharing the picts, you opened my mind to allot more options... :cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard and good luck w/the search.. Key factor, Be Patient in your search ;)

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Be patient and watch Craigslist like a hawk. Get an app that will enable you to look at larger areas. The classified ads on this site are really good as well, but they know what their trucks are worth. Best shot at a screamin' deal is CL. I wanted a cut Bronco, then added new un-cut rear fenders and that completely changed my mind. As for half-cabs, they are half as fun as wagons lmao.

Best of luck and welcome to the site.

P.S. Put your location in your signature.

Attachments

• P1000227.jpg
    P1000227.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 14