• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Tire Question

2horsegarage

Loc.
Denver Colorado
So, I am looking into buying new wheels and tires. I want a bigger tire than I have, but do not want to rub.... I do not have a suspension or body lift. What is the biggest tire I can fit? I will give it a little body lift in the future, but the tires need to come first.... Thoughts? This is mostly for looks, and less for 4 wheeling. I do go off road, but only old fire roads and such where I plan to back pack....

2750877_1.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
32's should fit with no rubbing 33's fit but you usually have to trim the front fender because they will rub slightly.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
You should be able to sell the PTO winch (if it is in good condition) for as much as a good set of tires. I would recommend the BFG All-Terrain tires for what you are doing. They are pretty quiet and wear relatively well.

Tire size depends on what you are going for. If you go with 32's you might have some rubbing on the radius arms until you replace your wheels with something that has more backspacing or a wider wheel. If you want the stock skinny tire look then a 31x9.50 looks good. I really like the look of a 31x9.50 on a stock wheel. Also consider your gear ratio. If your engine is stock then a 32 or 33" tire will really rob your power. I wouldn't go much larger than 31 with the most common 3.50 gear ratio.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I had 33's on my other bronco no lift cut rear and it didn't rub bad at all gearing wasn't too bad, but sucked when I put 35's on it.

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I would recommend the BFG All-Terrain tires for what you are doing. They are pretty quiet and wear relatively well.

I second that. Going from General MTs to BFG ATs was like going from a 1984 civic hatchback to a caddy. Smooth ride, so much quieter, they wear better, and I think they did just as well in mud.