• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newport Wipers

texbronc

Loc.
Austin, TX
Does anyone here have any experience with the Newport wipers? I'm looking to finally upgrade my vacuum wipers to electric and have seen their ads a few times, including the latest issue of Bronco Driver. I'm considering their system or any other recommendations you may have. Thanks.

maup

OP
OP
texbronc

texbronc

Loc.
Austin, TX
Thanks for the replies.

Novice questions here:

Can I run the 24V motors on 12V without damaging anything? I have installed a Centech wiring harness. Is the wiring in this kit adequate?

Also, how would I go about syncing them? Would I need a switch similar to the one WH offers?

maup

A motor may be more optimally wound for a certain voltage (ie if it says 12-24VDC you may get more torque out of the motor with 24V), but typically you can still run them at slightly lower voltages without any issue. When you start applying more voltage/current than the motor is rated for, that is usually when you run into issues.

The motor I linked to says 12VDC, same style motor drock linked to, his didn't say but I'd be pretty confident that it is also 12VDC, for a much better price than my link!

Keep in mind these motors were designed to run on a boats power system, which is pretty similar to that of a car or truck.

As far as syncing the motors - the Cole Hersee switch I linked to at ryderfleetproducts.com will do this. I haven't checked the price against WH, but without some type of switch or circuit they won't be synced or park correctly. I believe Viperwolf made a diagram of how you could park the wipers without a special switch, but I don't remember if it synced them. The cost of the switch was worth the hassle to me.

I dont have a centech harness, but based on what I've read about them I'd say your wiring kit is more than adequate. Depending on how your fuse block is setup you'll just need to add a fuse and tap into the power somewhere