• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Next project... fix stiff ride w/ WH 3.5” kit

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
The picture you posted shows the top spring to shackle bolt going in towards the frame. That bolt isn't too long and hitting the frame? Something to check.

I would fix that. It is a problem. Maybe the problem. Easy to miss.

Jim

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
That’s my plan!

As far as the bolt goes.. I did notice that. I’m afraid I took the easy way out (which hopefully isn’t a problem..), and hacked off the end of the bolt enough to avoid clearance issues.

Cycle the suspension to see if you have clearance. What you did should work but you want to make sure.

Jim

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Thanks Jim. Of course I noticed after everything was put together! I cut the bolts so they weren’t sticking out much. It looks good now as far as clearance issues go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I may be fine then, but was the paint scraped off of the frame hanger before, or after you cut the bolt off? In some cases, just the thickness of a big nut will hit the frame there, so it made me wonder about that obvious scraping.
If it was done prior to you cutting (or done by the tool when you were cutting;)) then you may be good.

If you're only 99% sure, then the next time you have a chance, have someone jump up and down on the bumper/tailgate while you watch the shackle cycling.

Paul

bchesley

Find a flat and level piece of concrete you can roll the bronco back and forth on. Go to each tire and make a chalk mark across the entire contact patch of tread. Roll the bronco back and forth a few times and see how much of the chalk has been disturbed or rubbed off. Lower the pressure in each tire until you are making contact with the whole tread. That is what tire pressure you should be running. Once you modify a vehicle outside of the factory specs that is about the only way to get the tire pressure right. You can then cross of the tires as the culprit.