• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nice custom rock sliders for Broncos "Welder required for final mount"

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Side steps have not been addressed by the vendors for the most part...

While that's an interesting kit, the phrase "wha'chu talkin' 'bout Willis!" comes immediately to mind.
WH Slider.jpg WH Slider 2.jpg

On sale this month too. ;)
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/15705

Not what you were looking for?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's one of the less expensive, strong, and more elegant solutions for protection, but not much of a step unless you make yours wide to stick out?
Are yours like that, or of the more integrated smoothie look?

Paul

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Remember the frame i above the rocker on EB's and the aux tank will also be problematic to install these.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Why would anyone want a 10 gal aux tank! As far as side protection- I think the duff stuff could for sure be made a little sexier they are a nice product.

muskrat

Bronco Guru

ILikeBond

Bolt 'em on and take 'em off and check and clean once in a while, I think...

I also have the WH sliders. Cleanest looking ones with piping still available.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should of said step bars. They would make a good sexy step bar that is not addressed by the vendors for the most part. I dont think a rock could slide on them.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I should of said step bars. They would make a good sexy step bar that is not addressed by the vendors for the most part. I dont think a rock could slide on them.
I see them filling a niche with the fiberglass bodied Broncos.
When my (pontoon) step bars wear/rust out I will be looking for something like that.

slow poke

Loc.
SF Bay Area
That's one of the less expensive, strong, and more elegant solutions for protection, but not much of a step unless you make yours wide to stick out?
Are yours like that, or of the more integrated smoothie look?

Paul

I have the first pair of these Wild horse sliders and have been very happy with them. The rail works well as a step, but really offers some side protection if you leave your doors on. Very heavy duty. I seam sealed one pair at the top to keep water and debris out. I took one off after about a year and all was good.

I like the way they mount to the body seam. Some of the ones welded to the frame seem cantilevered out pretty far, and rely on the rocker itself for strength.

killKIRK

Loc.
Concord, CA
Has anyone actually set their rig down hard on a rock on those bolt-to-the-body "sliders". I can't imagine they protect anywhere near as well as ones mounted to the frame. They just seem like a lever to bend the rocker.

Last edited:

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Has anyone actually set their rig down hard on a rock on those bolt-to-the-body "sliders". I can't imagine they protect anywhere near as well as ones mounted to the frame. They just seek like a lever to bend the rocker.

Not sure ofnthe gauge of the steel, but they're pretty thick. I believe they offer two thicknesses.

I'm a green trail guy w my EB. I'm not doing rock crawling but they are an extra level of protection.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My buddy Rob (not that Rob haha) pivots on his WH rock sliders around trees. He used nut serts.
They seem uber strong the way they run all the way up the backside of the rocker sort of sandwiching the rocker.
They are 3/16".

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Sloe poke

I have the first pair of these Wild horse sliders and have been very happy with them. The rail works well as a step, but really offers some side protection if you leave your doors on. Very heavy duty. I seam sealed one pair at the top to keep water and debris out. I took one off after about a year and all was good.

I like the way they mount to the body seam. Some of the ones welded to the frame seem cantilevered out pretty far, and rely on the rocker itself for strength.[/

You mean seam seal for body work? What kind of seam seal? Apply it to the top back side of slider or "caulked" it along the top?

Please let me know.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...My concern is water n grit getting caught between them n the rocker panels rusting them out.
Legitimate fear?

Certainly. But easily addressed as well. Like Slow Poke said, you seal them up along the top and the sides and you should not have any issue. I've had a different set on my '71 for 30 years and just took them off. I can show you a pic of the rocker panel, but suffice it to say it's still in pretty pristine shape from a rust standpoint.
I just used standard in-the-tube silicone sealer.

Has anyone actually set their rig down hard on a rock on those bolt-to-the-body "sliders". I can't imagine they protect anywhere near as well as ones mounted to the frame. They just seem like a lever to bend the rocker.

You're right about how it seems, but you'd be shocked how much force they can take when it's spread throughout the entire rocker through 1/4" plate steel. You can literally pivot your rig around a rock and the only damage is the scratches in the paint of the rocker guard.
You can certainly damage a rocker still of course, if you come down hard enough. But that's true of just about any style rocker guard. Especially the frame mounted ones that are cantilevered out from the frame.
There are some pretty stout frame mounted designs out there, but none that are off-the-shelf parts that I can think of. Maybe someone using that style has more feedback, but for most uses, the rocker mounted style, when done right, is VERY protective.

My buddy Rob (not that Rob haha) pivots on his WH rock sliders around trees. He used nut serts.
They seem uber strong the way they run all the way up the backside of the rocker sort of sandwiching the rocker. They are 3/16".

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know they're working out for him. I've seen some other nut-sert installations and they seem pretty stout.
The material is actually slightly thicker at 1/4" too. Not light, but very stout.

Paul

killKIRK

Loc.
Concord, CA
Good to know.

Certainly. But easily addressed as well. Like Slow Poke said, you seal them up along the top and the sides and you should not have any issue. I've had a different set on my '71 for 30 years and just took them off. I can show you a pic of the rocker panel, but suffice it to say it's still in pretty pristine shape from a rust standpoint.
I just used standard in-the-tube silicone sealer.

You're right about how it seems, but you'd be shocked how much force they can take when it's spread throughout the entire rocker through 1/4" plate steel. You can literally pivot your rig around a rock and the only damage is the scratches in the paint of the rocker guard.
You can certainly damage a rocker still of course, if you come down hard enough. But that's true of just about any style rocker guard. Especially the frame mounted ones that are cantilevered out from the frame.
There are some pretty stout frame mounted designs out there, but none that are off-the-shelf parts that I can think of. Maybe someone using that style has more feedback, but for most uses, the rocker mounted style, when done right, is VERY protective.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know they're working out for him. I've seen some other nut-sert installations and they seem pretty stout.
The material is actually slightly thicker at 1/4" too. Not light, but very stout.

Paul

Arikilen

Loc.
Clovis, CA
Dirtdonk,
I have been on the fence about buying a set of the WH sliders, I was wondering if some of the molding sold with the gorilla flares could be used to seal up the top?

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
I have the WH rocker guards and like them but they are only good for a step and what Dirt Donk said. I had the frame mounted rockers on my doublecab tacoma and I could jack one entire side of the truck into the air with a hilift and they barely deflected and then returned. I wouldn't do that with the WH rockers.