• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nice custom rock sliders for Broncos "Welder required for final mount"

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I was wondering if some of the molding sold with the gorilla flares could be used to seal up the top?

That's an excellent suggestion. Not sure it's necessary, when silicone does a masterful job at no extra cost (assuming you already have some that is) and doesn't seem to cause trouble in "gluing" the plate to the panel. But it would work I would think, and would look pretty decent too.
If someone wanted to do that, I'm sure we could accommodate them.

I have the WH rocker guards and like them but they are only good for a step and what Dirt Donk said. I had the frame mounted rockers on my doublecab tacoma and I could jack one entire side of the truck into the air with a hilift and they barely deflected and then returned. I wouldn't do that with the WH rockers.

Why not? Lots of us do it and don't have any trouble. Using it as a jacking surface is the least impactful use it's likely to be put to. Any damage doing that would likely come from other sources, such as a trashed body mount or something along those lines, rather than any damage to rocker or slider.

Have you had a different experience already? Or are just not sure you'd do it to something bolted to the rocker? If just not sure, I think you'll be surprised. If you've had a bad experience though, I'd be interested to hear about it. Not that I'll like hearing it of course:( , but we might as well know if there's something that some are running into out there so we can address it, if needed.

Thanks for giving them a try anyway, and glad you like the step.

Paul

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I like these. I also like the rocker guards without the "step".

My concern is water n grit getting caught between them n the rocker panels rusting them out.

Legitimate fear?
I don't think so. I made the first set and put them on my 70 18 years ago. They have been off 2 times over the years to repaint the EB and no rust. I though to seal the top and front but ended up not sealing them at all because I figured the water would be held in if there was a seal and dry out if not. I did not put a step on mine because the step makes a great lever to pull the rocker off. Mine are held on by 10 sheet metal screws and I have never heard of one coming loose. Over the years I have scraped a lot of rocks with them and they have a lot of gouges in them but no bends. They work great for a hi-lift jack. The bottom bend takes a 150 ton press to form

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Has anyone actually set their rig down hard on a rock on those bolt-to-the-body "sliders". I can't imagine they protect anywhere near as well as ones mounted to the frame. They just seem like a lever to bend the rocker.

Yes, several times. Even lifted the whole side the truck up with a high lift under the slider than drove off it to get out of a hole. They were the BC ¼" plate version. Yes, they held up very well. At one point I had them off for a repaint and noticed a minor dent on one (you had to look down the length with fresh paint on it to see it) and the body was still fine.

I am sure that given enough abuse you could cave in the body, but at that point a frame mounted slider would be tearing up the frame.