• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No fuel going through filter to carb????

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
My luck strikes again!!!! I was washing the pollen off of my bronco and rolling up the sides and rear windows on my soft top, while letting the bronco idle. The truck sputtered and cut off. My fuel gauge said that there was 1/2 tank! I turned off the ignotion and turned it back on and the fuel gauge said E! I went and got 3 gal. of gas and put it in. The truck will not start. I look at the clear fuel filter and there is no gas in it. When I put a little gas in the carb it would start and then cut off. Still no fuel in the filter! Is my fuel pump shot? How could it go like that? Please help, AGAIN!

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Yep, sounds like a dead fuel pump to me. I had one go that died and then would partially run. It then would only fill the filter about a quarter of they way. Luckily it got me home from my hunting trip.

To this day I have never been stranded, the old guy has always go me home or died in the driveway. I assume you have a mechanical pump; I converted to an electric pump after my last problem. You might think about going that route.

JMurray

I would just unhook the fuel line just before the fuel pump & see if you have fuel up to that point, if you do I would suspect the pump. If you dont have fuel there I would blow out the line to the gas tank. Once you get gas to the pump, put the line back on, prime the carb fire it up. If it will not run after a couple times change the filter, then if it wont run I would change the pump.
Jerry

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
As a double check before you buy anything. Take off the supply line off the pump. Replace with a lenght of hose that will reach a small hand gas tank with some gas init. Prime the carb start and see if the mill will run sucking off of your small hand tank. If so look to your vehicle's fuel filter if its behind the pump or clogged strainer.

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Man are you guys life savers! This site is awsome! I removed the fuel line and blew it out and replaced it, tryed to start it to no avail.. I am a little late for the last advise! I just removed the fuel pump and am ready to go up to the auto parts store and get a new one. I hope it works! I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Replaced the pump, still dosen't work! Every once in a while it will shoot gas into the fuel filter, then it will slow down and stop! What could this be??

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
You might have crap in the tank. Do you still have the stock tank?

I once had the problem that the line would re-clog after blowing it clear.

You may have to drop the tank and get it boiled and lined or replaced...

The good news is you have a spare fuel pump....;D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Jeepster said:
As a double check before you buy anything. Take off the supply line off the pump. Replace with a lenght of hose that will reach a small hand gas tank with some gas init. Prime the carb start and see if the mill will run sucking off of your small hand tank. If so look to your vehicle's fuel filter if its behind the pump or clogged strainer.

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Did the above suggestion. The pump did suck gas out of a jar. I then placed a air hose in the line going back to the tank and felt air coming from a line that was open in the engine bay! What is this line and what the hell did the po do to me??

Attachments

• fuelproblem.psd.jpg
    fuelproblem.psd.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 185

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
you need to follow the line from the tank to the fuel pump.to see where you are.

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Question:
If the truck did run out and I only put 4 gallons in and it is parked at an angle, could this be the problem? That would totally be my luck!! LOL!! Should I roll it down the driveway into the street? I just don't won't to be stuck on the street! Should I get more fuel in it? It is parked with the front up hill.

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
Just a thought, maybe it's your carb. I just went thru the same process with my new 77. Wouldn't start but would run if you spoon fed her thru the carb. When you spoon feed a carb, you basically bypass it so it does not mean the carb is functionnal.

My problem was the fuel inlet valves were stuck on the primary side. Maybe it's the same for you. Could be the float that's stuck in the high position, keeping the inlet valve closed.

I would suggest putting all the hoses back on and then unplugging the hose that goes in the carb. Crank the key a couple of time, fuel should come out. If it does, the pump and lines are O.K. and the carb is the problem. That's what I did and I took the carb apart after that and sure enough, the inlet valves were stuck and it was time for a rebuilt.

Hope this helps...

Jeff

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Here is something you could look at...
Did you trace back to the tank and check all your supply hoses?
Check all the hoses between the hard lines. Sometimes when these short sections of hose get old they become soft and implode or suck closed when a little vaccuum from the fuel pump is generated. They may not always show it visually because the fuel hoses are 2-ply. It is possible for only the inner hose to suck closed, in which case you might not see it. If the sock inside the tank is plugged or restricted it can be the cause or aggravate the hose problem. Prolly wouldn't hurt to replace all the fuel hose from the tanks up to the pump especially if they feel soft and can squeeze together easily. Even If they feel ok but look old, replace them anyways and save yourself some trouble later down the road. Just a Thought…Hope this helps ~BH

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
ebman74 said:
Replaced the pump, still dosen't work! Every once in a while it will shoot gas into the fuel filter, then it will slow down and stop! What could this be??
I have gotten a bad pump right out of the box.:mad:

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Update:
I pulled the line off of the tank and gas came rushing out all over me! It's not the tank. I then disconnected the line from the fuel pump and put fuel cleaner in it and blew it through. Then I took off the gas cap and blew from the pump end of the line and gas came out of my filler neck. I then primmed the carb and started it, again a little fuel made it to the filter and then it slowed down and stoped again! What the hell is going on?Fathom, you might have hit the nail on the head. Although the fuel that has been going through the filter looks clean. Please help!!! What should I do next?

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Did you replace the fuel filter or filters? What about the filter in the carb where the fuel line connects? Reading through the trail of posted I might have missed it if you did.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
ebman74 said:
Update:
I pulled the line off of the tank and gas came rushing out all over me! It's not the tank. I then disconnected the line from the fuel pump and put fuel cleaner in it and blew it through. Then I took off the gas cap and blew from the pump end of the line and gas came out of my filler neck. I then primmed the carb and started it, again a little fuel made it to the filter and then it slowed down and stoped again! What the hell is going on?Fathom, you might have hit the nail on the head. Although the fuel that has been going through the filter looks clean. Please help!!! What should I do next?
Did you try what jeepster and I suggested yet? If so what did you find?~bh

OP
OP
E

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I replaced all lines. Still problems! I ran a line all the way from the pump to the gas tank and it worked.When I connect it to the fuel tank selector switch it won't suck gas! What possition should this switch, that is under the driver seat be in? I assume main for main tank! Could this thing be messed up or clogged? When I bought the bronco the switch was in the middle possition facing down?