• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No power at brake light switch

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Hi guys,

So I have been dealing with headlight, turn signal, and brake light issues. I replaced the headlight switch and that took care of my headlight & turn signal Issue. However it didn't bring power to the brake light switch. I have read that there can be shorts in the turn signal switch effecting the brake lights as a result. I will try removing my steering wheel to access the steering column and turn signal switch. But is there another place I should check to figure out why my brake light switch does not have power? Besides bad wires and so on.

I should note my hazard switch is broken so not currently connected, but that would not be the problem would it?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm a newbie and trying to learn.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
the red wire on brake lite sw comes from headlight sw.red/blk goes from brake light sw to turn sig sw.power is from headlight sw.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Thanks,

If the power comes from the Headlight sw, than that eliminates a short in the turn sig switch at the steering column as a possibility then right?

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks,

If the power comes from the Headlight sw, than that eliminates a short in the turn sig switch at the steering column as a possibility then right?

Paul

Not completly. That half-round wire looking thing (there are 2 actually) in the headlight switch is a thermal circuit breaker. It will open the circuit in case of a short. It resets when it cools. If you had a short in the column the lights (running lights and TS) would be fine until you step on the brake and allow current to get to the short.

Unplug the brake switch, let it sit for a few minutes then check voltage at the switch connector.

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
still no power to the brake light switch. turn signal and running lights work fine. I'm gunna get a steering wheel puller tomorrow from the parts store and take a look to see if the brake light wire at the turn signal switch harness is loose.

However just looking to double check. Does the power to the brake light switch come straight from the headlight switch, or does it go from the headlight switch, to the turn signal harness in the column, then to the brake light switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
still no power to the brake light switch. turn signal and running lights work fine. I'm gunna get a steering wheel puller tomorrow from the parts store and take a look to see if the brake light wire at the turn signal switch harness is loose.

However just looking to double check. Does the power to the brake light switch come straight from the headlight switch, or does it go from the headlight switch, to the turn signal harness in the column, then to the brake light switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

Brake light power comes directly from the headlight sw to the brake light switch, then to the column. If you don't see power at the brake sw connector (either terminal) when unplugged then either the headlight sw is bad or the wire between the two is bad.

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Thanks,

I will check the wiring and post back then. I just replaced the headlight switch (thinking that would fix the problem) so that is only a week old.

I replaced the headlight switch also because the headlights after running for a bit, would turn on and off erratically.

The new switch fixed that, perhaps it was a bad switch that I installed though.

I'll check the wiring tomorrow and post back.

Thanks again.
Paul