• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Transmission Kickdown

MDBronco

I am in the process of fixing up a 71' Sport.

It has a 351W, C4 Tranny with floor shifter, and an Edlebrock 4bbl performer

The tranny doesn't have the kickdown hooked up, and I don't have a clue how to do it.

There is a vaccum modulator valve on the side of the C4 that isn't hooked up...

Can someone give me the how-to's on riggin this up. Thanks!

-Sam

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I don't think the original kickdown will work due to the 351's higher manifold/block/heads but I'd check it out with a 351 guy. BC Broncos, Lokar, and a few others offer cable kickdowns for engine swaps. The kickdown will attach to the driver's side of the transmission. There should be a lever attached to teh tranny in the same area as the shifter and neutral safety switch/reverse light switch.
As for the modulator, stock broncos have hard lines running down from the rear of the engine at the vacuum source to the rear of the transmission where the modulator is. There could either be one or two ports in the modulator itself depending on which version you have. Either way hook then to a vacuum source.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I hooked up my modulator with a rubber vacuum hose. I ran it from the vacuum tree on the back of my intake.

The kick down connects to the throttle on the carburator on one end the other on the side of the trans, like states above.

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
Sounds like you have the kickdown but it is just not connected. if you have it, you can make your own bracekt to extend it.

It is just easier to install a kickdown cable.