• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No wires going to my Neutral Safety Switch

Betty77

Loc.
Delray Beach Florida
My 77 went dead so I thought it was my starter solenoid replaced that....nothing....so I went to my a good electrical man I know and he told me it definitely is my neutral safety switch. I ordered one in took off the old old and there are no wires hooked up to it. So obviously I have never had one. But now I don't know what to do. My friend told me to trace back the wire on the solenoid closest to the positive hookup. How do I do that Im at a lost of what to do. Help!!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The connector is coming through the firewall near the driver side valve cover. All '73-'77 Broncos have it.

OP
OP
Betty77

Betty77

Loc.
Delray Beach Florida
found it!!!!! gonna install the new one now...was gonna post a picture of the connector. The previous owner had it cut and spliced. I couldnt figure out how to post the picture.. Ill let u know if it works.. Thanks!!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You need to adjust the switch to get it to work. Loosen the mounting bolts. Put the trans in neutral. Insert a small drill bit into the hole in the side of the switch (green circle). Turn the switch until the drill bit can be pushed into the hole. Tighten the mounting bolts.

Attachments

• NSS adjust.JPG
    NSS adjust.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
Betty77

Betty77

Loc.
Delray Beach Florida
Works!!!

I didn't have to adjust anything it worked the first shot...;D.. Thanks again now i just gotta get my kick down bracket adjusted correctly.. Have no idea how to do that.. I see u have a cable is that easier to set up than a bracket?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cable is great for EFI or if you're missing the linkage at the carb. Adjust it so the lever on the trans is fully pushed back against the spring tension only at wide open throttle. That's a good general setting. You may have to tweak it a little to get it where you want it. The kickdown comes into play at speeds above 35 mph or so.

OP
OP
Betty77

Betty77

Loc.
Delray Beach Florida
I wanted to ask you something. My truck started shutting off while it was driving. I had to jump the solenoid to get it going but it shut off again. I had a thought it could be the ignition switch. It might be bad. But I really dont know any help would be awesome. Thanks alot.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
You need to adjust the switch to get it to work. Loosen the mounting bolts. Put the trans in neutral. Insert a small drill bit into the hole in the side of the switch (green circle). Turn the switch until the drill bit can be pushed into the hole. Tighten the mounting bolts.

Hey Viper. I can start mine in neutral but I do not have power or back up lights. I disconnected the 4 prong connection just before it reenters the firewall and started trouble shooting. I can jump across the black wire to one of the others with the ignation switch on and the shifter in reverse I get back up lights.

Is this a bad switch or do I need to adjust the NSS? Also, I can start the truck while it is in neutral. Thoughts?