• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non-starting problem

bigdog

I've been doing a total rebuild on a 66 Bronco for the past year and finally have got to the point of trying to start it up. I installed a new Centech wire harness, but can't get it to start. It keeps blowing the fuse between the one wire alt. and battery. I know I'm overlooking something but can't see where. I would appreciate a new set of eyes looking from a different angle if there is anyone in the Cumming, Ga. area. If not I'll just keep at it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've been doing a total rebuild on a 66 Bronco for the past year and finally have got to the point of trying to start it up. I installed a new Centech wire harness, but can't get it to start. It keeps blowing the fuse between the one wire alt. and battery. I know I'm overlooking something but can't see where. I would appreciate a new set of eyes looking from a different angle if there is anyone in the Cumming, Ga. area. If not I'll just keep at it.

Are you talking about blowing the big 150-200 amp Mega-Fuse thing? At what point does the fuse blow? When you hook up the battery?

Positive battery cable to the BAT+ side of the starter solenoid. STA side of the solenoid to the starter.

The "One Wire" from the alternator to the MegaFuse, then from the MegaFuse to the BAT+ side of the starter solenoid (effectively the Postive side of the battery).

Negative battery cable to the engine block. Ground strap from the engine to the body, and another strap to the frame.

Disconnect the alternator OneWire, and try to start.

OP
OP
bigdog

bigdog

It doesn't blow until you turn the engine over. I have spark at the distributor and at the coil. I don't have a strap from the body to frame. Will that cause it to blow?

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
It doesn't blow until you turn the engine over. I have spark at the distributor and at the coil. I don't have a strap from the body to frame. Will that cause it to blow?

You should have both the body and frame grounded. And preferably independent from each other. Meaning run a cable from the body to the (-) battery and a separate cable from the frame to the (-) battery. And then I'd run a strap from the body to the frame in the rear. Without good grounds you will never achieve good (+) voltage.

Broncmeister

The bronco should start regardless of alternator if the battery has juice, there is something else wrong here I think, starting is seperate from charging. I agree with everybody else, disconnect the alternator and go from there. diagnose your starting issues and then move on to the charging issues.

OP
OP
bigdog

bigdog

Does the 1 wire 3-G alt.run to the battery + post or to the volt. reg. +? I've seen instructions both ways, or does it matter?

Broncmeister

When i bought mine the instructions said it goes to positive battery post, so that's what i did and it's been perfect ever since.

That could be your problem maybe? The one wire 3g has an internal regulator, you have to disconnect the original external one I believe