• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not another what's it worth thread!

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Yeah, I've seen several that way. In fact, I think even the Stroppes were notched. Pretty sure they didn't do that much trimming to the inner fender, but also pretty sure that some at least had the frame notched.
Buddy around here had one mounted directly to a full-width frame rail, but he had to get more creative with u-joints, fender trimming, and draglink length.

Paul

I don't think there is any real chance that its a Stroppe but hey anything is possible. The obvious Stroppe things have been changed so refresh my memory on what to look for. It looks like the original color was maroon ( No signs of orange and white ). The steering wheel is a Grant so no Foam covered wheel. Original bumpers are gone so no cactus smasher or bumper braces to look for. And its a 4 speed so I cant check the intermediate housing. What else can I look for?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm, well, you just about covered it! Just the roll bar shape and any hint that there were ever bumper braces welded or bolted to the frame rails would be the only other things I can think of.
Stroppe bars had a "crown" in the center where it passed over your head. Instead of just being a flat main bar, it bumped up at the top
The bumper braces were just 3/4 to 1" diameter tubes that bolted to the outer reaches of the bumpers and angled back to the outside of the four corners of the frame. Probably bolted or welded on about a foot back from the bumpers.
Always thought they were welded but I think the last time I was at Andrew's I saw some welded bars.

And yeah, I'm thinking it's a long shot too. But like you said, hey, you never know.

Paul

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
Hah! I know I'm a bit jaded, and that prices have been going up, but maybe we just have more for sale around here. Like I alluded to before, you buy a rust-bucket for 4500, and then a week later you find a 1-owner '77 with 89k miles and in good shape still for $3500. The prices are still just all over the place.
And yeah, that same '77 in another market, or at auction, would be advertised for 40k by some. Seen similar prices just recently. In fact, several have come up on Craigslist and elsewhere in the 20 to 25k range that were not all that wonderful. Fancy and pretty decent yes, but nothing worth what they were asking. A few months ago, you could have had three pretty much ready to go, fully optioned, recently painted, EFI'd and lifted EB for $7500 on Craigslist.
So it all depends. But since I've seen several rigs go in the $1500 range in recent months, I stick by my previous estimate.
Regionally speaking that is...

As for your DD, unless it's body is falling apart with rust (like this one), no way would I say less than 4500 if it was relatively tame and moderately clean. Even if very little was new or updated. It just has to be clean and relatively rust-free. Remember, in CA we figure rust is a big deal, and "rust-free" (depending on your definition of rust free I suppose) is not as hard to come by in most cases.
If yours has lots of bolt-ons and is high in "goody-factor", it'd get a lot more. But to be more than 8k around here, it'd have to have a fair amount going for it.
Just two years ago, I passed on a super-primo-completely-restored-and-updated-to-the-nth-degree-with-EFI-etc '75 for $14K. In that case, I think it was worth every penny. Not a lot more, but every penny of that and I would not have felt like I paid too much. But it was like Mary Poppins... "Practically perfect in every way."

Paul

Ok, i'll step up. I will pay $1900 plus $500 max. shipping to MD. This instant. via paypal.

Travis

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Hmmm, well, you just about covered it! Just the roll bar shape and any hint that there were ever bumper braces welded or bolted to the frame rails would be the only other things I can think of.
Stroppe bars had a "crown" in the center where it passed over your head. Instead of just being a flat main bar, it bumped up at the top
The bumper braces were just 3/4 to 1" diameter tubes that bolted to the outer reaches of the bumpers and angled back to the outside of the four corners of the frame. Probably bolted or welded on about a foot back from the bumpers.
Always thought they were welded but I think the last time I was at Andrew's I saw some welded bars.

And yeah, I'm thinking it's a long shot too. But like you said, hey, you never know.

Paul

Forgot about the roll bar. If this Bronco ever had a roll bar its long gone. Now I need to get that VIN number to verify that its not gold mine waiting to be discovered!

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Ok, i'll step up. I will pay $1900 plus $500 max. shipping to MD. This instant. via paypal.

Travis

I'll pass it along to the owner. Unless it's a Stroppe, then it might find its way to my garage. Just kidding, I'll let them know.