• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Now Im really confused about my wiring

Betty77

Loc.
Delray Beach Florida
I replaced my neutral safety switch about 2 weeks ago. I learned while replacing it that the former owner had bypassed it by connecting the two red wires coming out of the connector. Well i plugged in the new neutral switch and it worked fine, for about two weeks. Then it cut off while idling the other day twice. I had to jump it each time off the solenoid before i could get home. I decide to take the neutral switch off and make sure it is installed correctly. I took it off and reinstalled it...still nothing. So I decided to leave it on and try the old connector that is jumped just to see. Presto!!!! it started. I jump for joy that I now can drive to work. I have to do something else for a bit. I then go to start it up and.....nothing just like before. I dont know what to do. Somebody help

vintage bronco

Did you try moving gear selector back and forth ? this was a common problem on fords when the switch would get out of adjustment or worn people got into the habit of lifting up the lever slightly and truck would start. Did you try to start in neutral ? it could be a switch adj there is a small hole on side of switch approx 1/8 dia block wheels and set "E" brake and place gear selector in neutral then adj switch till the drill bit slides into position and lock switch down.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could be the ignition switch too. Also a bad relay or starter. So don't forget to test those as well.
Do the backup lamps still work?
Since it did it with the old jumpered connector too, I'm leaning toward the ignition switch, the relay, or the Red w/blue wire.
Has it died on you again since the last time? If it was electrical in nature, it's not going to be the NSS since it only effects the starter. Not the ignition.

You can easily test the switch with an ohm-meter. Or even with a test-light and a jumper wire from the battery.
Just pull the connector and see if there is a connection only in Park and Neutral.

To test the wire between the connector and the starter relay, make sure that you're in Park, and use a small length of wire from the battery positive to the connector. Touch it to either of the Red w/blue contacts and see if the starter spins. On one contact it won't do anything. On the one that goes to the relay, your starter should spin up immediately.

Good luck. Just follow the Red w/blue wire from beginning to end and test each connection and each component in line.

Paul

Last edited: