• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 to Stock Bronco Axles?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Looking for recommendations on the best way to connect the stock 1976 axles to a NP205 transfer case. I have the stock driveshafts but obviously the Ujoints are different sizes.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I (think) I used the stock rear driveshaft u-joint after shortening the driveshaft. The front driveshaft I used an explorer as a core and had to change the front output yoke. This may be because I have a Dana 30 on the front.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some probably swap output yokes to match the Bronco shaft (assuming you can get a 1310 CV yoke for a 205 still), while others use one of the "adapter" u-joints with the 1310 on one angle for the Bronco shaft, and the 1330 (or maybe even a 1350?) on the other.

Do you know what the transfer case has on it currently? Was it a standard single-cardan yoke or a double-cardan/CV yoke? What size?

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Paul said, there's virtually any option you want with respect to yokes for the NP205 between the OE and aftermarket stuff, so what do you want to run? Single or double-cardans? Yokes or flanges? 1310, 1330, 1350 or bigger?

If by "best way" you mean the cheapest, then the 1330 double cardan used on the 78-79 Bronco might be your best option on the t-case end, and then a stock 1310 yoke on the pinion...build a shaft to match.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have some new yokes for a 205, changed directions, will look and see what they are. they can be had for cheap.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The NP205 has the same 32 spline output as the:

NP208
NP241
NP242

WH HD D20 rear output
Atlas

1310 double cardan yokes for them are not hard to find.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The NP205 came from the factory with a lot of different yoke options depending on the original application. Some are setup for U-joints, others CV. 1310 and 1330 are generally the sizes that will find. So it turns into finding what you have, and what you want to run.

If you have a U-joint yoke than you will want to change that over to a CV yoke. But if you have a CV yoke, it might be a better option to change the driveshaft over to match the bigger U-joint in the CV.

OP
OP
H

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Thanks everyone, it has the ujoint yoke, but the ujoint itself is bigger than the stock early Bronco one. I bought a conversion ujoint but then realized the centering yoke is too small to fit the conversion joint. I am assuming it isn't safe to eliminate the centering yoke and going direct from the double carden joint to yoke on the np205?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Correct. You cannot bolt a CV to a U-joint yoke. Need a CV style yoke (in a size you want to run)
Also it is not a good idea to run a U-joint in a CV yoke. although it has been done many times. The issue is the retaining straps are across the needles and not the ends of the caps. Pretty much guaranteed to distort the caps and that will wipe out the needle bearings. The U-joint yoke puts the retaining strap across the end of the cap where it is much more rigid and less prone to distortion. But will still distort if you crank down on the U-joint straps.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. You cannot bolt a CV to a U-joint yoke. Need a CV style yoke (in a size you want to run)
Also it is not a good idea to run a U-joint in a CV yoke. although it has been done many times. The issue is the retaining straps are across the needles and not the ends of the caps. Pretty much guaranteed to distort the caps and that will wipe out the needle bearings. The U-joint yoke puts the retaining strap across the end of the cap where it is much more rigid and less prone to distortion. But will still distort if you crank down on the U-joint straps.

i think the ones i have (new) are the cv yokes, will get a part number tomorrow when i go up to the shop.

OP
OP
H

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Thanks everyone for their help, went to Nick at northeast classic Ford parts. He had the front and rear correct yoke for the NP205 to stock Bronco ujoints in stock.I am going to swap those out to make things work.