• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 3rd Gear Grind

Buddy's 70

My uncle has a problem with his 435 grinding the gears when going from 2nd to 3rd only.It doesn't grind when he goes from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd, only 2nd to 3rd.He even double clutches when he shifts from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes it still grinds a little. The trans has a rebuild kit put in it and a local shop says everything looks good inside and should work fine(they didn't put in the rebuild kit). It also had a new clutch put in on the original installation and has about 2000 miles on it now. My uncle has called several other shops and no one has any idea what could be wrong, but would like him to bring it in to look at it,of course. The trans is mated to a 351 Windsor. I know a lot of Bronco brothers use this trans and was hoping someone has some insight on this particular problem.Thanks in advance!!:-[

Scrapper_MV

Has he towed it with wheels on the ground and left the trans in neutral? This can cause third gear failure.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I get that on mine, but it because I don't push the shifter over to the right far enough when shifting. I thought it was the tranny when I first started using the np435, but it was user error. You have to swing it way over to hit 3rd correctly.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Zeeman1 is correct on this. getting used to the shifter is one thing that may give you some grinding. the other thing is the synchronizer cages. They can crack and start to flex and cause this grind. Your rebuild shop has to take the trans apart to check these cages. a visual will not always show the problem.