• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 w/o body lift

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Also I forgot to mention that the crawl ration (first in low range) is 61:1 with the ZF and 71:1 with the NP435 and a J case D20 ;D ....not to mention Alum. vs iron cases on the trannys. That NP435 is hard to beat when you start looking at the crawling ratios, I have the T case D20, so my final ration is 67:1 with 4.10 geared axles....you would have to put 5.13s in with a ZF to get that low!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Whats wrong with running 100mph Rick?

You forgot to mention that the ZF is synchronized and the 435, well isn't. :cool:

My argument against running the 37-38 range, is potential breakage on the dana 44, even with moly shafts and good joints. I think that once chad gets the 435 and new 5.0 in, he will be plenty for a really long time with the setup.

Rick, how does your rig do taking off at a light around town in second gear? Or do you use first gear to take off?

Ben

nrramse

Whats wrong with running 100mph Rick?

You forgot to mention that the ZF is synchronized and the 435, well isn't. :cool:
I don't think that's totally correct, is it? My recollection is that 1st and Reverse are not synchronized, but the other gears are.

I imagine you're joking about the 100mph question, but for the younger readers I'll point out a Bronco is *not* safe at 100mph.

Newell

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Over a hundred ...I say not over 60 I get a little uneasy ..But I sure like the ride at 10 or 12 mph...
...When I. 1st did my NP 435 I had the stock lift but ever time I shifted there was a nasty pop in the body around the trans area ..So I add my 1 inch on top of the original bushings ...noise went away ...YOU'LL LOVE the NP435...

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
I don't know if this will help. Here is what a 2" body lift looks like. Good Luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I don't know if this will help. Here is what a 2" body lift looks like. Good Luck!!

Nice job!

Would you mind measuring that for me?

I'd like to know..

1. the distance from the center point of the tranny (the hole where the stick goes in) to the bend in the tunnel (where the floor and firewall meet).

2. the distance from the center point to the driver's side edge of the tunnell.

3. the vertical distance from the tunnell to the top of the tranny.

It looks to me like, what I'm calling the center point, is pretty close to being right in the bend of the tunnell (where it transitions from the floor to the firewall).

If that's the case, it looks like a 6" hole saw would be just about perfect for making the correct size hole.

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I am sure you have seen this calculator, it is very close IMO.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050204061805/home.comcast.net/~jcmiley/bronco+gears.html

I think even with 35's you don't need the ZF unless you want to run 100 MPH. My expereince is that these small blocks don't create the max hp at low RPM. With the 35's the 435 and ZF at 60 MPH are running 2600 & 2000 RPM respectively. With 37's you are talking 2500 & 1900 RPM respectively. I could argue that the ZF is too high geared. I have 37.72" tires on my rig with 4:10s and I think it is perfect....that is 2200 RPM at 60 MPH.

I'll have to bookmark that calculator because it's dumbed down, for guys like me. ;D

My final crawl ratio will be 75:1
2650RPM @ 60mph
2850RPM @ 65mph

I think she'll be screamin' at 60 - 65mph, but that's okay. Everything I've done to this point, has been in anticipation of having an overdrive tranny. So, I knew going in that I would have to tough it out for a while.

As Ben said, I think I'll be good for a long time. I'll have a mostly new, but more importantly very dependable drive train, front to rear. That's what I've been working toward for the past 1.5 years.

The 5-speed, EFI, and front ARB will come when I can afford them. At least I'll have a dependable rig that I won't be worried with taking where ever I want.

Chad

Last edited:

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
That is a worthy goal Chad. I think you will find it very difficult to install the tranny with a round hole.....and trying to hit the right spot will be next to impossible IMO. The neck of my tranny sits right against the front most cross member in the tunnel...and the front is just passed where the tunnel turns upward.

Johnny

Here's a 435 without a body lift... I hope this helps... It's hard to hold a tape measure, take a picture, and be up under the dash at the same time...

trucks-003.jpg

trucks-004.jpg

Johnny

I should be yanking it out tomorrow, if you want a better picture, and measurements of the hole....

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Dozer, I need to drive your rig sometime. I beleive you on the 2nd gear start, maybe the 435 has a much lower 2nd gear than I imagine?

I was joking about running 100mph but I have routinely run between 80-90 mph on the highway and I don't have any stability problem at all.

And no 1st and reverse duh is not sychronized.

Ben

Johnny

It's my wifes Bronco and she doesn't like a standard.... Plus It's being torn down right now to be restored.... So I'm taking her 302, and 435 and throwing it in my 68 to wheel......

I'm not sure I'll get it out today, as I only have a few hours to work on it... but It will be out Friday for sure....

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Dozer, I need to drive your rig sometime. I beleive you on the 2nd gear start, maybe the 435 has a much lower 2nd gear than I imagine?

I was joking about running 100mph but I have routinely run between 80-90 mph on the highway and I don't have any stability problem at all.

And no 1st and reverse duh is not sychronized.

Ben

I am pretty sure 2nd gear is 3.34 to 1. I have also had my rig up to 85 on I30 with no problems. I have 4.10s in the differentials and at 3000 rpm I am approximately 80 MPH.