• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 w/o body lift

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Looks good! Hey JW my hole with a 2" body lift did not require any destruction of the support rib that goes across the tunnel. The hole was just big enough for the round portion of the neck of the tranny (maybe 3" or so each way). Cant find any pics without the boot on it, but here is one with the boot installed and you can see the boot is a little smaller than Chad's hole. And it covers a lot more than just the hole itself.

Attachments

• 1-10-09 (600 x 450).jpg
    1-10-09 (600 x 450).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 6-17-08 002.jpg
    6-17-08 002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 53

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Buldozer, I beleive you are right about not getting into the support with a 2" body lift. The only reason Chad had to cut more was because of the little nub that stick out the back of the shift tower, he ended up cutting approximately another inch out, so I guess and inch up is equal to an inch back with regard to the hole you cut. We installed his motor and tranny together and just couldn't get the motor mounts into the slots with the smaller hole.

Ben

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I ran my 435 for years with out a body lift and after the struggle of putting it in the first time, when I had to replace the clutch some years later, I opted to pull the engine rather than to shoe horn that 435 in again. I have since put in Wild Horses 1" Body lift and it solved that problem as well as several others that I was having from worn body bushings. I recommend the body lift if it is any where on your agenda.

OP
OP
kbldawg

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I'm actually really glad I got the 1" BL, too. It makes everything so much easier, and the extra clearance in the wheel wells are nice too.

nrramse

Can I bother someone to post a couple more pictures? I'm looking for a picture of the shifter in 1st gear, and another of the same vehicle in reverse - no body lift. I'm in the planning stages and want an idea of how the bends come out.

Thanks, Newell

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I will check and see if I have some of kbldawgs shifter when we installed his 435. We finally came up with a compromise between first and reverse and then decided we needed to cut down the shifter to make it shorter and wallah! We had her done. Make sure you have plenty of gas to heat that shifter up :cool:

Ben

nrramse

I will check and see if I have some of kbldawgs shifter when we installed his 435. We finally came up with a compromise between first and reverse and then decided we needed to cut down the shifter to make it shorter and wallah! We had her done. Make sure you have plenty of gas to heat that shifter up :cool:

Ben

Hey Ben - any luck finding the pictures? I'm anxious to see them, or anyone else's

Thanks, Newell

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I will look on my other hard drive and post pics if I still have them? If not, I will try to shoot some some pics the next time I am around his bronco. Kbldawg may shoot some too? Might see him tomorrow and will ask him about that.

Ben

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Haven't found any pics yet. We spent alot of time bending the shifter in kbldawgs rig to get it right and eventually cut it down to make a little room. I don't see how the NP435 would ever work with a bench seat as the shifter is so low in reverse gear.

Ben

bornazen

Loc.
Lakewood
I have an NP435 w/o body lift and all that is needed is some nice metal fabbing or build yourself a gear banger setup, but all this is old news. I have 35" tires and a 302 with some good power with 409 gears.... When I ran a stock 302 in this setup the gearing to power ratio was not that favorable, but after building up the HP and Torque in the motor it works alot better, but I still feel for 35's that 456 gears would be perfect. My point is that I think this transmission is limited with a bone stock motor or the wrong gears..... but you will find that out yourself

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Interesting, bulldozer on here runs the NP435, 39" tires with a warmed up 302 (dont know the specs) and 4.10 gears and loves it offroad and on. From what I recall he is just running the stock D20 as well. I have wheeled with him a few times and he as absolutely no issues on the trail with this combo.

Ben

bornazen

Loc.
Lakewood
With the stock 302 3d gear wasn't the most favorable gear for cruising through neighborhoods, but with more torque added to the motor I could tell that this gear worked better....not so much a dead area..... its all preference