• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435 woes

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
well I am finally at the point ti install my 435 and 205 combo. went out this morning to start and notice the output shaft on the tranny is flopping about and wont go back in... I guess I didnt put it in neutral when I took the shifter off and separated from the transfercase. I messed with it for a while and still no luck getting it in. so I decided to take the side cover off and look inside.. maybe wiggle something and make it go together... but I found a lot of ground up metal in the bottom and what looks like a snap ring too... so I think I am screwed with putting it in any time soon. so I guess I'm going to tear into it when I get the time again. but I have never messed with this tranny before. does anyone know where I can get a big blown up diagram of the inards of it? at least that way I'll know how to put it together and find missing parts that got ground up... a bad start to my day...

Newt

Check out the reference section at your local library. They usually have manuals. You can copy pertinent pages.

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
Here you go. I hope this works for you.
np435fsmdiag.JPG

OP
OP
J

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
cool.. thanks....<br>any tips when dis assembaling it? looks to be simple enough... I just hope too much isnt destroyed in there...<br>

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=joes75 link=board=5;threadid=12475;start=0#93051 date=1040344972]
cool.. thanks....
any tips when dis assembaling it? looks to be simple enough... I just hope too much isnt destroyed in there...

[/quote]
Take the top cover off first.
Then the extension housing.
Remove the rear mainshaft bearing.
Remove the front bearing retainer saving the gasket stack.
Line up the cutout of the main drive gear where the straight teeth are missing with the countergear and slide the maindrive gear out the front.
You can now tilt your mainshaft up in the front and slide off the 3-4 synchro assembly, if there are shims between the cups and the gears make a note of it.
Then lift out the mainshaft assembly at an angle through the top opening.
The counter gear comes out when you unbolt and remove the back cover, I like to tip the trans up and stand it on it's front face while removing this.
There are two bearings under this cover a thrust bearing, and a support bearing that is actually pressed into the cover.
The rest is pretty much self explanitory.
Finish disassembly, clean & inspect.