• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 - Reverse Light Plug

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Scotts77,

Does this switch control both the reverse lights and the neutral safety? What gauge wire should I use?

You know I honestly don't know the answer to that. I bypassed my NS circuit when I rewired my Bronco. I would be interested in finding out though. A 14 gauge wire is more than sufficient.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I am assuming each pin would ground in its perspective position. One pin grounds in neutral and the other in reverse?

If this is the case, the only way to use it in our broncs would be to ground a relay that turns on the lights. Our bulbs are case grounded, no ground wire to toggle on and off. Heeps must use bulbs that dont case ground, like 3157's maybe?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Ok there is no neutral safety switch on a manual transmission in an EB, only with an automatic. I suppose you could wire one up if you really wanted one.
The reverse lights: in the wiring harness there is a hot wire (12v)(when IGN switch is in the run position) to the trans and then a wire that runs to the reverse lights. The switch in the trans completes the circuit... No relays.

I used 16 gauge wire. A little bigger that the factory harness that is in my 77. Centec harness install will be done soon, but I did one in my 75 a few years ago...

Centec wiring harness for neutral safety: purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid would have to go through the neutral safety switch on the auto trans. So that the starter would only engage in neutral or park. No neutral safety switch in Manual trans, so just hook it directly to the starter solenoid. Unless you are going to make something custom for your NV3550, usually that takes the form of a switch tied into the clutch pedal, it must be depressed in order to start. Sorry if I sounded long winded, clear as mud now?

Doug

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Ok there is no neutral safety switch on a manual transmission in an EB, only with an automatic. I suppose you could wire one up if you really wanted one.
The reverse lights: in the wiring harness there is a hot wire (12v)(when IGN switch is in the run position) to the trans and then a wire that runs to the reverse lights. The switch in the trans completes the circuit... No relays.

I used 16 gauge wire. A little bigger that the factory harness that is in my 77. Centec harness install will be done soon, but I did one in my 75 a few years ago...

Centec wiring harness for neutral safety: purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid would have to go through the neutral safety switch on the auto trans. So that the starter would only engage in neutral or park. No neutral safety switch in Manual trans, so just hook it directly to the starter solenoid. Unless you are going to make something custom for your NV3550, usually that takes the form of a switch tied into the clutch pedal, it must be depressed in order to start. Sorry if I sounded long winded, clear as mud now?

Doug

Doug, Everything you pointed out I think we knew already. The question was whether or not the NV3550 has a self contained NSS. True my EB had no NSS new, but my Ron Francis harness requires the use of one or a bypass. I chose the latter.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Doug, Everything you pointed out I think we knew already. The question was whether or not the NV3550 has a self contained NSS. True my EB had no NSS new, but my Ron Francis harness requires the use of one or a bypass. I chose the latter.

I think I see Homer... Dooh ?:? I guess I completely missed that flight plan...

OP
OP
cgbexec

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I finally got around to buying the connector and checking the transmission switch out. There is no nuetral safety switch built into the NV3550 transmission. When you put the transmission into reverse, it mearly makes the connection between the two pins in the switch. So in conclusion this is just a reverse light switch.

Thanks guys.